Piecing together a pedestal table

quandarySeptember 28, 2010

I'm having trouble finding the right pedestal dining table for the small area off of my kitchen.

I'd like a 38" - 42" round with a leaf expanding to an oval about 60" long. I posted here about trimming a leaf and got some brilliant ideas, including how to trim the leaf or cutting the desired leaf size from plywood and using a table cloth. I may resort to one or both of those suggestions.

I really don't like the straight pedestals which come with the tables of the size I'm looking for. I have found a beautiful solid wood pedestal sold alone. Assuming this pedestal is big enough to support it, would it be possible to remove a top from another pedestal table and attach it to the pedestal I like?

I was looking at a friend's pedestal table and the construction doesn't seem that complicated. A 24" square of plywood is bolted to the top of the pedestal. A 28" square of plywood is attached the the underside of the table top. The two pieces of plywood are bolted together to form the complete table. It even has a functioning leaf.

Assuming this could be easily done, are there guidelines to determine what size table a pedestal would support?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

A lot depends on how it is attached. A little 'freeplay' at the attachment will result in a wobbly table.
For my 36" x 72" double pedestal table, the steel plates at the top are 11" square, with hefty screws holding the plates tightly to the 5" dia maple pedestals and top.

Bookmark   October 4, 2010 at 12:33PM
quandary

Thanks for responding, randy427.

I purchased the pedestal, and it's dimensions are:
top diameter 6 5/16"
bottom diameter (footprint) 20 1/4"
height 32"

I will need to shorten it, as a standard dining table height is 30". I'm hoping a cabinet maker could cut it down for me.

Any idea what size top a 20 1/4 footprint pedestal would support?

I'm hoping to find a used pedestal table with a top I like and attach it to my pedestal. The construction of that table will likely dictate how I attach it. I was thinking about attaching a 24" square piece of plywood to my pedestal with 3 bolts, and then attaching that to the top.

The pedestal is solid wood, and very heavy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood pedestal

Bookmark   October 4, 2010 at 9:30PM
quandary

Does anyone know the ratio of table top to pedestal for stability? If it's 2:1, I could probably use a 42" table top on my pedestal (20 1/4" footprint). I'm assuming that a heavy top would be less apt to tip than a lighter one.

Randy427 has double pedestals to support a 36"x72" table. He didn't describe the pedestal, but most have feet at the bottom to expand the footprint. Mine is shaped like a vase. The bottom is round -- it has no legs.

Bookmark   October 5, 2010 at 9:57PM
randy427

A heavy top will actually be more likely to tip as it will result in a higher center of gravity.
I would not want the table top to be much more than 20% wider than the base, giving you a 24-25" dia table for your pedestal. A larger diameter flat base could be attached to your pedestal in order to permit a larger top.

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 10:22AM
quandary

Drats, randy -- that's not what I wanted to hear, but what you say makes good sense. In fact, that is very likely the reason I haven't been able to find a dining room table with a pedestal shaped like the one I bought.

25" would be too small for a dining room table, and besides, you'd probably bump your knees on the pedestal as you sat there. I don't think I could add a flat base, because it already needs to be shortened, and I don't think it would look right.

Even if I used a lighter weight table top (without an apron), I still probably couldn't go as large as 38" in diameter, could I?

I really do appreciate your advice, and I'd much rather find out now than after I bought a top and put a ton of work into it.

The pedestal would still make a pretty accent table, but I'm back to square one looking for a table for my kitchen.

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 9:43PM
More Discussions
Varnish cracking and brittle on table with Inlay work
The varnish or poly is looking so bad I want to redo...
bossyvossy
Wood Countertop Oil? Tung vs Mineral
I am going in 2 different directions for my Island...
2LittleFishies
newbie veneer terminology question
My house has hollow slab doors veneered with luaun...
Fori is not pleased
Finish for mantle
We had someone make a mantle from pine and while it's...
Jennifer White Green
protecting black walnut salt and pepper mill
Hi all, Just got a set of gorgeous discontinued William...
frodiggs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™