Ground wire on spa motor

PensPeteMay 5, 2012

Just replaced an old pump motor that failed. The case of the old motor had a place to anchor a ground wire running from the panel. New motor does not have a place to anchor that ground. Is it necessary? Can I just fasten it to any bolt on the pump?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

You need a star type lick washer (internal or external, with internal a little better) to make sure a solid bond is formed that cuts trough paint and any contamination on the surface.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 5:40PM
PensPete

Thanks for his reply. Let me add some clarification, as I'm afraid my initial post was unclear. The old motor had a ground wire running from the case of the motor to a universal grounding bar on the panel (where other components were grounded as well). The new motor has no grounding connection at all. Does that mean none is required? I am not talking about the grounding of the entire spa - that is still intact. I'm talking specifically about the grounding of the small motor that runs the circulation pump. Hope that's clear! And again, thanks in advance.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 5:54PM
brickeyee

"Does that mean none is required?"

No.
It needs to be bonded just like the old motor.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 8:19PM
Ron Natalie

This isn't the ground, it's the equipotential bonding required of all components and exposed metal of the spa. If something doesn't have a bonding terminal, you must install one.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 7:37AM
brickeyee

"This isn't the ground, it's the equipotential bonding required of all components and exposed metal of the spa. "

It follows the same rules for how the bond connection is to be made.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 12:31PM
Ron Natalie

I wasn't arguing with you brick. It is NOT a ground. The requirement for it is different than for grounding (but the terminal is the same as you say). All the things required to be bonded need to be bonded with #8 solid.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 2:46PM
More Discussions
Multiple Fluorescent Ballasts in one light fixture
Hello GardenWeb. I'm not new here, but couldn't log...
MikeM21
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
Oil in Motor of Ironrite Rotary Iron. what do I do now?
Hi, I just bought an old 1946 Ironrite rotary iron...
lucinda002
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Looking for Ideas For Lighting at base of 300' long driveway
Sorry for the "picture through the screen"...
dixieman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™