Ceiling fan?

footwedgeMay 19, 2011

As part of the kitchen remodel, I will be adding a ceiling fan. At this time we do not intend on having the light fixture attached; but, I want to go ahead and wire the fan as if it had a light fixture pull chain activated.

I plan to run a 14-2 feed to the switch and then 14-3 cable to the fan putting a wire nut on each end of the currently unused wire. Is this acceptable?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Use two switches in order to operate the fan and (potential) light from the switches. The 14-3 will be fine for a 15 amp circuit and the two switches. If only one switch, the 14-3 is needless, 14-2 would be sufficient.

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 7:42PM
footwedge

Bus_driver, there will be 2 switches if we install the light at a later date: one at the wall and one at the fan (pull chain). So if the light is/will be pull chain operated, do I need to run a 14-3? and is it ok to wire nut the 2 unattached ends?

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 9:57AM
bus_driver

If only one WALL switch, why would you use the 14-3?

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 7:00PM
footwedge

If I knew, I would'nt be asking the question. LOL.

Thanks for the answer and will run 14-2.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 12:20AM
mike_kaiser_gw

While you may have one wall switch now, is there some possibility you may want to control that light from the wall at some point in the future? If so, run the 14-3.

They do, for example, make a single device that controls fan speed and dimmer for the light.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 6:47AM
footwedge

I do not remember where I read the following: if the fan weighs less than 40 lbs then a standard ceiling jb can be used and if the unit weighs more than 40 lbs a ceiling fan jb meeting the fans' rating shall be used. It could have been in a book I got from the library that discussed the latest code requirements for residential wiring.

Is the above correct?

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 8:04AM
normel

You need to use a fan rated box.

Run 14/3 and connect ALL the wires in the ceiling box. That way, if you add a light kit later, you don't need to rewire anything in the ceiling. Just leave the wire connected to the light (I recommend red) capped off in the switch box.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 11:24AM
More Discussions
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Reuse electrical panel
I replaced a 24 circuit Square D panel with a new 40...
zver11
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™