ceiling fan w/ switch

jvmagicMay 20, 2011

Hi,

I currently have four recess lights in my bedroom with a dimmer switch. I want to install a ceiling fan (no lighting on this fixture). I assume I can tap into the existing electrical wiring from the lights but how do I deal with the switch? Do I need two switches? In the night I'm going to want to have the ceiling fan running without my lights on of course. How is this feasible?

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kurto

Yes, you will need another switch to control your fan independently of your lights. Normally, power is delivered to the junction box where the switch is located. You will want to replace that junction box with a double box, and use the same power source for both switches. Then you'll need to run a new cable from the new switch to the fan. I'd recommend running a 3 conductor cable (plus ground) to the fan so that if you decide to add a light fixture to the fan at some point in the future, the wiring will be all set.

I'd recommend purchasing a book like "Wiring Simplified" before you undertake this project. It's not all that difficult to add a fan, but it would be a good idea to understand the basics before you start.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 9:28PM
mike_kaiser_gw

Is there attic space above the bedroom?

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 6:56AM
shadetree_bob

If you are going to use a remote for the fan and possible light kit later you will not need three conductor. Almost every fan I have installed lately, last four or five years, has been operated by remote control, no need to get up and walk to switch and no need for two hot wires.

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
Help with 240V 50A location
I'm trying to do a challenging kitchen layout. I will...
12crumbles
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™