Where do you buy vitreous and/or ceramic tiles?

loribee2October 19, 2010

I thought there was a thread on this already, but when I looked, it seemed to be directed at stained glass.

I'm very disappointed because I thought I found the perfect website (Wholesalers USA) for mosaic tiles. They have a huge variety, really great prices, and even sell inexpensive sample boards. Problem is, they've screwed up my order twice!

Anyone have a website they love for buying tiles? I've seen Wits End recommended before, but they're really expensive. More than double the price I've seen on other sites. Mosaic Basics isn't bad. They've got a good selection at good prices, but I hate that when you add tiles to your "cart", they don't show you a sample of the actual tile. It's nice to be able to see what I've selected without having to copy and paste the images into a Word document or something.

I'd also love a site that gives some good information on their products, like what size and depth the tile is, how many tiles I'm getting, whether they're frost resistant. Some sites give you nothing.

And I guess my ultimate luxury would be someone who sells sample boards on their tiles, if that's not expecting too much! There's a trillion sites out there, but I've yet to find one that has EVERYTHING I'm looking for. Maybe I've just got my expectations too high or I haven't searched far enough?

Recommendations welcome!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvamae

We have bought lots from this company, Mosaic Mercantile. I don't know how their prices compare, but we had good service and like the product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic Mercantile

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 9:49PM
loribee2

Thanks, Silvamae. That is one of the sites I've been looking at, though they're more expensive than some others.

Do you know what C3 means? I see it being referred to on different sites in ways that presume the viewer knows what it is.

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 10:37PM
texaswild

LORI: C3 refers to fusion/kiln work. I think the link below w/take you to a very reasonable supplier of the Vit tiles. I used to buy from them. They are not the good Italian Vit - therefore, they don't nip cleanly all the time, but if you don't do a lot of nipping these tiles, they suffice.
Vit tiles

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 9:40AM
loribee2

Thanks for the lesson! It appears to be a thicker tile, too.

And thanks for the link! I ordered some samples from this company and hope it all works out. They seem to have everything I'm looking for as well as the best prices.

Bookmark   October 20, 2010 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
How to break crash glass?
I have some solid pieces of crash glass that I'd like...
phish_gw
bicem
Hi, bicem, you posted a mosaic question on the "conversation"...
silvamae
What sort of grout for a birdbath?
I've mosaiced lots of stuff that lives outside but...
1wanderer
I have been making some mirrors...
I am enjoying looking at all of your mosaics and I...
angs_pool
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™