Looking for small Main Breaker Load Panel

johnaxMay 23, 2013

I've got a 1950's 8-unit building, each unit metered with a separate main breaker box (30A each side) followed by a 4-circuit box.

I'd like to modernize but have only about 15" high by 6" wide for each unit (includes both boxes). The area is fully enclosed so "indoor" boxes should be fine.

I'm not licensed so can't do the work, but I'd sure like to be ready to suggest boxes that'll fit - expanding the area to allow bigger boxes would kill the project, so any suggestions will get my undying appreciation.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

I doubt that you would find anything to fit in that small space.
You could do away with the 4-circuit panel in that location, leaving the main breaker or its replacement in place, and put an upgraded load center in the unit itself.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 8:18PM
bus_driver

The new panels could be surface mounted if the framing limits the space to the dimensions you listed. Panel A could be at one height, Panel B could be higher or lower if necessary if lateral space is limited.

Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 8:25PM
johnax

Randy427, you're probably right, I did quite a bit of searching before posting. But moving load centers to each unit sure would be a painful re-wiring job.

Bus_driver, they're already surface-mounted. There's an enclosure on the back wall, fully weather-proof. I could bust out one of the sides and make it bigger. But I'd rather find the Honey-I-shrunk-the-load-box machine.

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
Crawl Space Junction Boxes: inspection and capping
Hello. I'm in the process of crawl space improvement....
SparklingWater
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?
Does a refrigerator need to be on a separate circuit?...
rontero
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™