Rejuvenate 'cleaner' from HD...how to get rid of

bbstxSeptember 11, 2009

Labor Day weekend, I bought an old table. The finish on the top was in rough shape, but until I'm really sure I want to keep it, I don't want to go to the expense of having it refinished.

Nevertheless, it needed a good cleaning. I went to Home Depot and the clerk told me to use a product called Rejuvenate.

First, I wiped the table down with mineral spirits on a rag. Then I applied Rejuvenate as directed on the bottle. Two quadrants of the table "fish-eyed." I applied another coat hoping it would dissolve the first coat and blend all together. Didn't make a difference.

I have tried to use more mineral spirits to remove the Rejuvenate. It didn't work. Things just keep going from bad to worse.

Any advice on what I should do? I just want the table to look decent while I decide what I'm going to do.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Now you know not to ask for advice from a Borg clerk.

I looked it up---advertised as a 'Space age polymer'---and 'they don't make products like this anymore'.

Now you know why they don't make products like that anymore. Wood finishing has been done for hundreds of years and the good finishes take skill and time. There are no 'easy and good' finishes.

It is probably a plastic polymer. You can try a stripper, but may have to sand it all off. If you have to sand, do NOT use a belt sander! Use a random orbit sander with 100 grit paper to get the majority of the junk off and finish with 150 or 200 grit(220 is ok).

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 11:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bbstx

BUMMER!!! Just what I was trying to avoid! Perhaps, I ought to just go ahead and strip it and try to refinish.
If I mess it up, then I'll just have to pay a professional to do it right.

Bookmark   September 12, 2009 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
Advice on finishing outdoor cypress mantel
Hello all, I have a wood finishing dilemma. I have...
Jack Mason
Will these trees make good lumber?
I've got 2 fallen catalpa trees that have remained...
mshepherd2
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Damage on a Solid Walnut Table
I need to fix some damage from nail polish remover...
alaurenb
newbie veneer terminology question
My house has hollow slab doors veneered with luaun...
Fori is not pleased
Need help with staining alder cabinets
Can someone share with me the right way to stain the...
aktillery9
Sponsored Products
'Stroke Ahead' Wall Art
$6.99 | zulily
Canyon Ranch Wool-Down Featherbed
$479.00 | FRONTGATE
51" Pelion Acrylic Freestanding Air Tub
Signature Hardware
Missoni Home | Tobago Cylinder Pouf
YLiving.com
Area Rug: Lascala Chevron Stripe Medium Blue 5' x 8'
Home Depot