Gel stain for veneer door problem

allebedSeptember 16, 2010

I want to gel stain a wood veneer door which previously had molding which i removed. Now after stripping and and sanding the door, I can still see the outline or shaded area where the molding used to be. Will this show when i put the gel stain on (i am going to use a dark stain). I didnt want to sand too deeply since the wood veneer is so thin. What should i do to make sure the gel stain does not make a design of what was there before (if that makes sense).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

Only way to find out is to apply the gel stain. Gel stain is basically just a modified paint. It is not really a stain in the sense it is absorbed by the wood. It is formulated to let some of the wood grain show through, so there is a good chance it will let the outline of the trim show as well.

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 10:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

It is very possible the wood that was not under the molding has shifted color slightly. Most woods lighten from exposure (UV in sunlight speeding up changes), a few darken, and some change color (purpleheart).

Only a dark pigment stain is liable to obscure the changes, and at that point you might as well paint.

Bookmark   September 18, 2010 at 10:41AM
More Discussions
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
making templates from graph paper
I seen some of the woodworking plans on the Internet...
hoganjr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™