making a cutting board

tap04September 3, 2007

i have a just cut 3 inch thick cross section from the trunk of a maple. how do i make a cutting board/chop block? i know it has to dry and be sanded, but what steps do i take to do this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

The cross-section of a tree trunk like you describe will be almost impossible to dry without damage. Because of the way trees' cellular structure works, wood tends to shrink, as it dries, something like a pie being eaten slice by slice, or like a paper fan being closed. The diameter will not change much, but cracks will open from the center out to the bark, and cracks in a cutting board are a bad idea. There are exceptional circumstances, but simply drying and flattening the slice is fairly unlikely to work.

To get a similar look, you may have to cut the slice in half while it's green, so that it can shrink without damage, then flatten the cut edges and glue the pieces together after drying.

Bookmark   September 4, 2007 at 7:12AM
kmealy

The diameter will change (this is called radial shrinkage), but in most woods, the circumference will change about twice as much (tangential shrinkage). Since
circumference = pi * diameter,
something has to give and a split usually occurs. There will me negligible shrinkage along the grain, (up and down the tree), in your case, in thickness.

Otherwise, I agree with Jon1270

Bookmark   September 4, 2007 at 9:49PM
randy427

One trick I was told about, but have not tried myself, is to coat both surfaces with 1/4" or more of beeswax and set it aside for a year or so. This is supposed to slow down the drying/curing process and thus reduce the splitting that occurs when the wood dries unevenly.
This was done by wheelrights that needed unsplit logs for wheel hubs.

Bookmark   September 6, 2007 at 4:44PM
kmealy

My saying: "In the end, the wood has the final say."

R.Bruce Hoadley put it more broadly:
"Wood comes from trees. This is the most important fact to remember in understanding the nature of wood. Whatever qualities or shortcomings wood possesses are traceable to the tree whence it came. Wood evolved as a functional tissue of plants rather than as a material designed to satisfy the needs of woodworkers. Thus, knowing wood as it grows in nature is basic to working successfully with it."

Wheelright's hubs have two advantages
1. They have a hole in the middle. Ponder the math of this.
2. They were made from a wood with interlocking grain and less prone to split.

Bookmark   September 6, 2007 at 9:27PM
More Discussions
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
furnone
Wood surface with bad smell
I purchased used entertainment shelf from Kijiji and...
markintosh
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Can I thin General Finishes oil-based Gel Stain?
My oak doors are finished in honey oak with polyurethane....
bisondaktelcom
Planing weathered/near rotted lumber?
I was just curious if it's OK to run some old, very...
fireweed22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™