light bulbs burn out when screwed in

wearylandlordMay 27, 2007

My second electrical problem involves several separate light sockets on the same circuit. Most of the outlets and lights work and no tripping of the circuit breaker occur but when screwed in the light bulb of several sockets immediately burn out. If there is a short shouldn't the breakers trip? Can each light socket have its own individual short?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidR

Based on this item and the other one you posted, I think you have a loose neutral connection. It could be in a single multiwire circuit. It could also be outside the house or at the main panel. This is causing excessive voltage at these outlets.

This situation is likely to damage appliances and can be hazardous. I suggest that you open the main breaker and call the power company. If they tell you the problem is inside the house, then it's time to call an electrician.

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 4:56PM
rockwood84

how many volts are going to the outlets i have seen 220volts wired to light socket

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 2:58AM
martin-electrical

Hopefully by now your problem has been found ......
If not you say bulbs burnout blow when installed in a rental unit correct ? Our the bulb bottoms giving you the frustration? Is this what is blowing out if so the fixtures have had the tenant treatment over tightened bulbs and shorted the center piece to the shell blowing out the solder connection to the bulb just before a fuse or breaker can trip a usual breaker has an instantaneous trip load of 10,ooo A for a 15A breaker solder melts at about 700d F it looses the race . If you haven't found a nuetral problem a 220 volt on light fixture problem try looking into the offending fixture sockets with a flashlight if any appear to be burnt I would consider this your reason (over zealous tightening I have seen people state I thought if I made it a tighter connection for the bulb it would be brighter....(sometimes you just would like to see how far you could screw them into the fixture)

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 3:56PM
More Discussions
new wiring project
I have a water damaged room I will soon be renovating....
CharlesInVT
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
Replacing dimmer switch: different wire colors on new switch
My DR lights, which are controlled from two switches,...
msa6
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™