Newbie Question - Staining Builder Grade Oak Cabinets

jb1176September 7, 2009

Help, please! We have Merillat Classic oak cabinets in a natural stain and we want to refinish them. The problem is overwhelming to us. The cabinets are only 8 years old and are in great condition and we can't afford to replace them at this time.

Is it possible to sand and restain the yelowy oak to a more toffee color - not too red and not too dark - just enough to get rid of the yellow, honey look of the cabinets? If so, what process do I use and what product should I use?

Thanks for your help.

JB

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

Just a few warnings:

* This is a lot of work. Really a lot of work.

* Sanding is possibly the worst way to do this. You will go through a lot of sandpaper and time (see first point), you will likely not get a good result (leave some finish and color that is going to mess up your finishing) and risk sanding through veneers. Use a chemical stripper.

* Some of the finishes in use in the last 10-15 years do not strip well. They are tough finishes, but most strippers won't remove them. You would need to find out if this is a finish that you have.

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 8:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jb1176

bobsmyuncle,

Thanks for the heads up about the work involved.

If re- staining isn't the option, what about painting the builder grade cabinets? I'm particularly worried about a primer sticking to the laminated end panels. What type of primer should be used and also what is a sanding primer? I would need something that I can brush on rather than spray. I don't have the equipment or the knowhow for that.

Bookmark   September 9, 2009 at 2:58AM
More Discussions
What happens to your tools when you die?
I turned 70 this year and suddenly realized that I...
furnone
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
golf t horse racing game templete
could someone email me the template for a horse racing...
ziggymaster
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™