Kolbe Window Rolled or extruded

from_a_buick_8November 6, 2009

I know have quotes for a Kolbe wood window, the price for a full install of these are very close to what I have from Andersen and Pella, but for one exception.

I was quoted two prices one for the Kolbe Ultra traditional and one for the Ultra Sterling, the difference being the Sterling has an extruded exterior cladding and the Traditional has the roll form exterior cladding. The Sterling is about 15% higher.

Neither of the Kolbe quotes includes the grilles we want so this may push them a little higher then the Andersen and the Pella quote. We have pretty much ruled out the Pella window and the contractor that installs Marvin in our area was out and took measurements last night so we expect to hear from them soon.

We still need to see the Kolbe and the Marvin window in person, but hope to do that in the next few days.

Now my question is having the Extruded cladding worth the extra 15%

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ibwindows

It's ashame you have to come here to get those questions answered.

Bookmark   November 8, 2009 at 7:50PM
afsa

Personally i would spend the $ if you can and get the Sterling which is the all Extruded unit. The Metal is obviously thicker and the color of the sash will be the same as the frame for the entire lifetime of the units frame, which may not happen if you go with the roll form as the gauge is much thinner on Roll Form(think coke can)

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 9:43AM
from_a_buick_8

Thanks afsa, we have not seen the Kolbe window yet but from the post I have read on here it does sound like the extruded is the way to go.

Ibwindows - I guess I worded my initial post incorrectly, what I was looking for opinions from folks on here if they thought the 15% difference in price was a true reflection of the difference in value between the two products.

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 3:52PM
More Discussions
Pros please help differentiate between two window manufacturers...
Hello, we are the midst of a new construction build...
rebph
Marvin Ultimate Clad Double Hung SDL - With or Without Spacer Bar
I am looking to buy the Double Hung, Marvin Ultimate...
cdrigans
Marvin Ultimate double hung or casement
I am replacing some rotting windows and am installing...
salbwil
Remove window film immediately?
My contractor has been installing my new Anderson Woodwright...
keys
Any opinions on Hurd H3?
I know Hurd is not well-regarded here on GW but the...
song_ca
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™