Dyeing wood fill

LinelleSeptember 4, 2012

I just bought a couple of unfinished parawood round-top stools for my kitchen counter. I'm undecided whether I will paint or dye them. I recently bought some Keda Dye in case I decided to go that route. There are a couple of small places around the edge of the seat that need to be filled. My research tells me that it's virtually impossible to dye or stain filled wood to match the unfilled wood. If this is the case with aniline dyes, I guess I would either need to forego filling, or fill and paint.

Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

If the areas are small finish AND then use colored wax sticks (Mohawk is one brand) that match the final color you end up with.

It is very difficult to get any filler to stain to match finished wood with a clear finish if the wood has ANY figure (AKA 'grain').

It takes many attempts with multiple colors and mixing and then finishing completely since a 'clear' topcoat can subtly alter the color of the filler and wood differently, making the patches stand out badly.

Minwax high Performance Wood Filler works well under paint.

You can make invisible repairs relatively easily under paint.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 3:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linelle

brickeyee, thanks for your reply. I think I'm just gonna paint these stools and save the dye for something else that might come along down the road. I love the colors capable with the Keda dyes.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 3:58PM
More Discussions
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
africanboy
What sealer for reclaimed redwood deck?
We have old growth redwood from a water tank that DH...
Honu3421
Routers
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
hogan_nj
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
jellytoast
Can I thin General Finishes oil-based Gel Stain?
My oak doors are finished in honey oak with polyurethane....
bisondaktelcom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™