Lights flashing in the house every 4 min

jasonb2012May 7, 2012

All of a sudden the lights in my house have started flashing every 4 minutes or so. This did not happen before today and it is happening on lights on different breakers. I noticed the main panel was making a clicking noise when they flashed. I am not tripping any breakers. I narrowed the clicking down to the A/C breaker and replaced it. The clicking is gone but the lights are still flashing. If I turn the A/C breaker off the lights stop flashing. The flashing has been happening all day every 4 minutes. I know it has something to do with the A/C and my best guess is the system is the A/C is short cycling. How can I test for this? The unit seems to operating normal although the fan does seem to be moving a little slow. If it is short cycling is this something that is inexpensive to fix or would I likely be looking at a new unit? Also is there anything else that could be causing the flashing. Please note I have checked and tighened all connections in the main box.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"The unit seems to operating normal although the fan does seem to be moving a little slow. "

Could be as simple as a start capacitor for the fan motor.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
Motion sensor that doesn't click
I have a motion sensor very much like the picture attached...
drmeow3
ceiling fan, fan works but lights do not
I have 2 kids and one threw a toy that hit one of the...
katy_bug
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
A/C wired to main panel only?
I had 2 electricians come out to bid upgrading my service...
frank_diy
Well this sucks
Just when you thought the idiot popup ads in the gardenweb...
Ron Natalie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™