Entry door jamb repair

dorry2September 10, 2013

I recently had some damage done to my entry door by a delivery company, picture attached, and would like to know if the best way to repair this is to replace the entire door jamb? If not, what do you suggest?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

Bondo and paint

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 8:31PM
dorry2

So is this a temporary fix or permanent? I feel using Bondo might just be a short term solution, but what do I know??. I am not a carpenter and just want the job done right.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 9:46PM
millworkman

Bondo and paint as bob states, probably outlast the rest of the frame, lol.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 12:49PM
dorry2

Thanks to both of you. Getting an estimate on the repair this weekend. Any idea what this might cost to repair using your suggested method?

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 6:00PM
bobismyuncle

$$$???

That's too dependent upon your area. Does the guy have an hour travel time or six minutes?

Bondo sets up in 5-10 minutes depending on how much hardener you add and how hot is is.

Do you have the paint? Is it still good? If not, your paint contractor will need to either come prepared with the paint, or run out to the paint store while the Bondo sets up. Is this time on the clock; does he charge mileage?

Mask off and/or set down drop cloth, sand Bondo smooth, clean the area(s) to be painted, paint, probably at least the whole side, pack up and leave.

It really also depends upon whether you hire a professional paint contractor or Joe Handyman who works out of the back of his 1986 pickup truck or van. Do you need him to come Thursday at 8:30 sharp, or can he stop by whenever he has a day his other jobs finish early or there's a gap in his schedule?

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
unkyaku
Refinish without stripper?
I would like to refinish the base of this bookcase...
splitrock
What sealer for reclaimed redwood deck?
We have old growth redwood from a water tank that DH...
Honu3421
Where can I get this molding?
I need to replace a couple of baseboards and want to...
stripedbass
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™