Vinyl Replacement for Mobile Home? Help!

safaribabeNovember 4, 2009

Looking for replacements that also qualify for the tax credit.

First, can we buy the windows and install them ourselves and still get the tax credit? DH is very handy and I have a great video on how to DIY.

The mobile home has siding.

Windows need to be double hung 30 x 70. The bottom is a foot from the ground so needs to be tempered on the bottom.

Unlike a 'real' house, putting alot of money in windows is not an investment that will be recouped down the road. And in this free fall housing market, it's a waste anyway.

Would it be worth it to try to just replace the broken aluminum window and not worry about vinyl? The sliders broke in both of these windows. Is that the same cost in the end more or less as a vinyl window replacement?

The mobile home has siding so the fins as I understand it, would not work for these windows.

I have seen people replace windows in like mobile homes and they end up PAINTING the exposed aluminum frame. I have heard that this means the window was the wrong one if the frame showed to that is the only option. this from installers and window shops. I can't get a straight answer.

I am on the Central Coast in California so limited by brands in Cali.

TIA for any help or inside into this overly complicated... racket?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
from_a_buick_8

The rebate is on the window, as long as it meets the guidlines (30/30)you can get the tax credit. The way i read the rules, they do not even have to be installed, they can just sit in your living room.

Bookmark   November 4, 2009 at 3:44PM
More Discussions
Brand recommendation?
I would very much appreciate some recommendations on...
oakenacres
Replace or Repair?
We are about to purchase a home outside Columbus, OH...
jackrh97
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
lisa_a
Deciding between Grand Estates/Amcraft or Okna 500dx, advice?
Both are new construction. The Grand Estates is just...
happyallison
Sliding Glass Door Brand Recommendations
Thank you for your help here a week or so ago, when...
Carrie B
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™