Circles on table

randy_2007September 27, 2007

Does anyone have any idea of how to get circles off a table. I think they where left from a hot pot. I have tried the warm iron trick (no luck) I hate to have it refinished. The marks are kinda a white and some are darker. Any ideas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You might try using a razor blade to gently scape...not cut...scrape with the blade flat on the table and try scraping the ring out of the finish, then respray it with a finish coat, this might work if it's only in the finish, if it's through the finish this won't work

    Bookmark   September 27, 2007 at 7:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

This cloth is made especially for removing (white) water stains, it's what I use and have very good results with it.

Not sure what the "darker" ones are. They may be from moisture getting into the wood (and not just into the finish). The only cure for those is stripping and refinishing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stain removal cloth

    Bookmark   September 28, 2007 at 9:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If it was from a hot pot of some sort. That ring has penetrated the finish and has created moisture under the finish , that's the ring you see.
There is no easy way to remove the ring, short of refinishing.

Kmealy, I'm curious about that "cloth". It looks like nothing more than a microfiber cloth ? Is there a "product" on the cloth ?

    Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 10:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Yes, it has tallow acids and ultrafine silica. It will leave behind a little grease that's easily cleaned off. If the resulting sheen is too high, it's easily dulled back with a little aerosol.

Oddly enough a similar cloth is sold to polish brass band instruments (trumpets, trombones, etc.). I used one last week to get a scuff out of a hammered copper table top.

It's also good at removing silicone oil.

They usually carry a couple of brands of these at Lowe's, though some are in a plastic container that you can't really tell what they are.

    Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 6:31PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
Finally mounted upper kitchen cabinet to sloped wall!
I finally got my cabinets installed. In particular,...
What is this wood? (Want to match)
When we bought our house we had the first floor floors...
making templates from graph paper
I seen some of the woodworking plans on the Internet...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™