voltage help needed...

atlanta39May 19, 2010

hi guys,

Im in the process of converting a furnace blower to a work shop fan. The furnace has these specs..200/230 volts 3 speed.etc.. My question is i would like to convert this motor to a 115 volt where i can you use regular house voltage to power it. Can this be done..I know a 230 volt has 2 power hot wires. how ,if possible,can i convert this to 115 to wire to a regular extension cord and outlet..thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hendricus

You can leave the fan as is and run a 220/230/240 line to the workshop. It's the same type of line as an electric range or electric dryer so you have it in the house. Or check out the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: 220 on 110 lines

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 2:59PM
atlanta39

i was hoping to just wire it differently if possible..

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 3:20PM
randy427

There are too many variations to give you a definative answer. I've tried trial and error, but error resulted in a smoking piece of junk.
Some motors have alternative wiring schemes on the inside of their electrical connection cover plate. If it's not there, you might try taking it to a motor repair shop for them to look at.

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 3:33PM
atlanta39

it shows a varaition to make it 200 but not 115.. i have wiring diagrami can post if that helps

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 4:02PM
randy427

It may not be doable on yours, then. If you can find a motor shop, they might know a way.
or
If you know of a local company that installs replacement furnaces, they might have an old 115v fan in their junk pile. (I got two that way)

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 7:13PM
mike_kaiser_gw

Are you sure that's not 208/230 volts?

The name plate of the motor will list the acceptable voltages. If 115 isn't included it won't work. Buy a new motor or wire for 240v.

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 11:00PM
pharkus

hendricus's link...

is that a real product?!

I built one once... that doesn't mean it was a good idea. What happens when your "120 to 240 adapter" is plugged into circuits A and B, a 240V load is connected, and somebody turns off the breaker for B in order to work on something? The entirety of circuit B remains live through circuit A and the load!

That's a dumb product, and I'm sure that company will eventually be sued into oblivion.

FORGET that idea. Just find a 120V motor or wire properly for 240V.

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 7:37PM
pharkus

H'mmm... well, upon reading some of the details of that product, apparently they've prevented the scenario I mention, presumably with a relay or two. I still don't quite trust it, but maybe.

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 7:41PM
More Discussions
ARGH! no boxes
Went over to my daughter's house to help them change...
Ron Natalie
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™