Independent vs factory authorized installer

jennifer_in_kansasNovember 13, 2011

I've found a window installer I'd like to use. He's installed vinyl windows in several of my neighbor's homes. He started out with a large company, but went independent 10 years ago and now runs a small crew. He has a great standing in the community and I'm pretty confident he'll be an honest guy to work with.

I have a couple of concerns.

One is all of the work he's talked about has been installing vinyl. If I decide to go with aluminum clad is it so different I should worry about installation?

Also, he has been installing Alside. I guess you can't fault him for installing what my neighbors have chosen but during our visit he all but recommended Alside. That could be, though, because I was a referral from my Alside neighbors.

He did admit he wasn't a saleman, just an installer. He said he'd get a quote on whatever window we wanted but never offered any advice on brands.

If I went with aluminum clad, would it be safer to chose a factory authorized installer who is more familiar with the product OR would a very conscientiousness but mostly-vinyl installer do just as well?

Thoughts?

Jennifer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skydawggy

I'd simply ask what experience he has installing the windows you are considering. "Factory Authorized" installer may not mean anything more that someone sat through a 5 hour course. I would lean heavily towards someone with a lot of experience with whatever window you end up choosing.

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 1:25PM
More Discussions
Opinions on Sunrise vinyl sliders?
I bit the bullet and went with Okna windows! Not biting...
happyallison
Softlite Elements windows quote reasonable?
We're in MA. We've been quoted $13,300 for installing...
ppurus
windows in rain and water, slush
We are in this weird situation due to the snow, rain,...
r2d2indy
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
Andersen Renewal vs Starmark Windows
i currently have a secondary home that we are re designing...
branlance
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™