Changing futon frame into a couch?

pinktoesSeptember 3, 2007

I want to change our nice solid ash Mission style futon frame into a more traditional couch. Comfortable enough for company to sit on, but won't get heavy use. I've found a place that will make couch cushions to any size and shape, so that'll work.

Here's the problem: I just noticed that a futon frame's seat slants down in the back, lowering your seat and elevating your knees. Then its back leans back too far, so you're looking up rather than level with the floor. Don't think I can solve that problem by manipulating the cushions.

Any ideas on how we could alter that frame to make it sit more upright, like a traditional sofa?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

Futons are build a lot of different ways; your question is going to be difficult to answer at a distance, and impossible without pictures.

My guess is that, with needing to make custom cushions and significantly modify the frame, you may be better off to sell the thing and buy a new couch.

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 4:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pinktoes

I just took a closer look at the futon frame. DH has already screwed 3 lengthwise slats over the ones that already run the depth of it. He did it so that the mattress would lay level, like a bed, rather than make him lay at a side to side tilt, ever rolling toward the back.

So, the frame already sits level. I thought I still had the rolled up towels and blankets stuffed in there to level it up.

Now I only have to deal with the back being too angled. Maybe just hand out throw pillow and let folks use those to adjust their own "tilt".

Bookmark   September 5, 2007 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
Differences in Wood Stains?
I went to purchase some stain to refinish a stripped...
jellytoast
Wood surface with bad smell
I purchased used entertainment shelf from Kijiji and...
markintosh
making templates from graph paper
I seen some of the woodworking plans on the Internet...
hoganjr
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???
We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red...
mcook
Stripping paint off of beams
Hi folks. We're working on a wonderful 100-year-old...
GaleForce
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™