finishing a fireplace mantel

PoorOwnerSeptember 16, 2008

I have a mantel surround and shelf in oak that I need to finish, I plan to use a stain and then floor grade polyurethane (Minwax duralseal) Then I remember seeing "check local fire codes" before fininshing and installing the product.

I wanted to know if the poly will work and to code? The wood shouldn't be getting that hot.

My fireplace is wood burning and it has a brass surrounds with rows of tiny square holes horizontally. Is it OK to position the horizontal wood piece directly above the square holes? Picture coming soon.

I also wanted to know if I should glue the ornament on before staining and sealing, or finish them individually I imagine glue will not work well after poly has been applied to the bonding surface

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnpaint

You really should check with local codes on this.The combustable materials have to be a set distance away from the heat source.For sure better safe that sorry.Besides you want to able to sleep at night and not worry about a fire. Hope this helps. John

Here is a link that might be useful: johnpaint

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 2:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PoorOwner

I picked out the product formby's tung oil finish however they told me they do not recommend for the application, the maximum temperature is only 120F, while I am not attemping to roast my wood at all, I want to know the tempeature limits of polyurethane? Some are meant for outdoor and marine applications so the tempature limit should be higher.

Bookmark   September 20, 2008 at 6:13PM
More Discussions
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
How to tell treated vs. untreated wood?
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to distinguish...
unkyaku
Peeling railings and windows
Hi, Around 8 months ago I put new spar varnish on my...
Ryan Tetuan
Refinishing oak furniture
I fell in love with a very large (11 feet long) piece...
kjreif
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™