Windows noise reduction

huggieNovember 15, 2008

Hello,

I stumble upon this site and Oberon's old post when I google for laminated glass and noise. Oberon mentioned that "using one thicker (3/16') and one thinner (1/16') lite in an IG construction will also help deaden sound because each lite is 'transparent' to a different frequency and each lite will then attenuate the frequency that the other lite 'passed'.". What's a lite? Is it just a piece of glass? Would using different thickness be useful on a laminated glass as well?

I live in Taiwan and length is measured in millimeter(mm). I am mainly looking for laminated glass. 5mm + interlayer + 5mm and 5mm + interlayer + 3mm are more common. 5mm + interlayer + 8mm is not unheard of either, although more expensive. I am assuming the thicker the better, but I'm not sure about the STC ratings and if the money justifies it.

I've also heard from local window vendor (mom & pop shops) that frame often matters more than glasses and he recommends me a 8mm monolithic window. I'm getting more and more confused. The local mom & pop window shops usually do not know about the STC ratings on the products they sell. I probably have to call up the makers to know the details.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tube

If you used laminated glass it would be different sizes. Usually laminated glass is either the inside or outside glass pane, not both.

Bookmark   November 17, 2008 at 9:05PM
oberon476

As you thought, "lite" is simply a term used to describe one sheet of glass.

The most common thickness of laminated glass in North America is probably 3mm / .76mm / 3mm.

Impact products increase the interlayer to 2.29mm and might use any glass thickness from 3mm to 6mm depending on the application.

Using different thicknesses of glass in a laminated make-up will have some affect on sound propagation. Monolithic laminated glass at any make-up will be a noticeable improvement over a single lite of annealed glass. A laminated glass make-up of 3mm / .76mm / 5mm should perform very well in sound application.

Your mom and pop shop folks are not correct when they say that the frame is more important than the glass make-up - however, a tight frame and rigid construction will be much better than a loose frame and sash assembly.

If the window leaks air, it will pass sound.

Bookmark   November 18, 2008 at 6:56AM
izzie

I had some really bad double pane window, they were gas filled also, they didn't have much space between the glass and I think the new windows glass is actually thicker also. It has been a world of difference on noise reduction since my new windows were installed. I can't quote #'s though but the amt. of space between glass and thicker glass, new windows also have what is called a solar sheild between glass and argon gas, not sure if that helped also.

Bookmark   November 18, 2008 at 9:39AM
oraso

Huggy, did you find a supplier of noise reduction windows in Taiwan? If so can you share the info. I live in Taiwan also and I'm looking for this type of window,

Thanks

Bookmark   December 10, 2010 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
Soft-lite Purchase of Gorell
I was looking to get 4 more windows (Gorell, as I love...
mav3481
Best garden window?
I am remodeling our galley kitchen. It's small and...
shadey
Thank you for this forum!!
It is nice to see some unbiased information. For any...
dont_trust_the_dog
Replace or Repair?
We are about to purchase a home outside Columbus, OH...
jackrh97
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™