How to disassemble Andersen window crank cover

flasharinoNovember 12, 2012

I want to strip the paint from an Andersen windows in my house but first I want to remove the hardware so I can do a neat job on the wood. The locks came off fine but the cover to the crank handle is another matter. I have attached a photo of the cover. I searched the Internet and found a few videos for the disassembly of Andersen window cranks but none of them had screws and they all just popped off. After moving the screws from mine the cover is a bit loose but will not come off. The window was installed in the mid 80's. Does anyone know how I can get the cover off? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington

Loosen it from the paint to start with.

Have you checked Andersen's site? They usually do a really good job of putting up instructions.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 12:01PM
flasharino

As I mentioned the cover IS loose. It is not attached by any paint. I will check Andersen's site.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 12:33PM
Jumpilotmdm

Grab the plastic around the hub with a pair of padded pliers, so as not to scratch the lexan cover [Andersen's name for it]. Pull gently then firmly will working the pliers all up & down & side to side. It should eventually come off as it probably is just painted in place. Maybe score the bottom edge with a knife to help it release.

Bookmark   November 15, 2012 at 9:45PM
cheeseblood

I realize this was posted a few years ago, but since there wasn't a resolution I will kick in my findings.

The only way I found to remove this cover was to remove the trim behind the crank so you can get at it with a flat head screw driver. When the back of it is exposed simply put the flat head between the crank and the plastic and give it a quarter turn. It should be done on both sides of the crank and it will pop right off.

Hope this helps future folks.

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 8:54PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
Window Decision Time
Hi all, First, let me thank all of you for the information...
Chris
Sunrise or Thermal windows and doors
I'm trying to decide between Sunrise windows and Thermal...
craig4536
Need Help with new window brands
We are early in the new home construction process (finalizing...
mmdoh
Fiberglass Windows from Hardie????
We need to replace 3 windows in our family room. ...
dancingqueengw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™