Prof. Refinished Door: How Long Should Finish Last?

kikoSeptember 26, 2011

Hi, all. We had our 1988 front door (oversized, with transom and two sidelites inset with leaded glass) professionally refinished in 6/2008 for $1,350. The project took two full days and included the interior and exterior. The door is solid oak. The finish on the exterior threshold is failing. How long would you expect the finish on a refinished door to last? Were we supposed to do some sort of maintenance on the door? Any insight appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RRM1

"Professionally refinished" means what, exactly? Was it a shop that does commercial finishing/refinishing? Was the door removed and taken to a shop (or done on-site)? What materials were used? Was it stained? What is the top coat? Was it sprayed or brushed? How many coats?
Richard

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 2:26PM
brickeyee

The first thing anyone needs to know is what finish was used and what exposure does the door have to the elements.

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 2:31PM
kiko

Good questions! The door itself was removed and taken to a shop where it was dipped (I believe) and stripped. The transom and sidelites are "permanent" and were stripped and refinished on site. Sadly I have no idea what type of stain or top coats were used. I am guessing I should have asked those type of questions at the beginning!!

The exterior of the door is exposed to the elements. We live in a HOT area (Dallas, 40+ days over 100) and we have had unusual (for us) freezes the past few years. The door is on a protected front porch with a 5 foot deep overhang and 6 foot deep brick walls (perpendicular to the door) on either side. The door unit is about 6 feet wide by about 10 feet high.

I just called the company that did the work today. Amazingly, the same person I worked with in 2008 is still there and is going to come to take a look at it. What sort of questions should I ask when he comes?

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 3:00PM
kiko

Here is a picutre of the door before and after refinishing:

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 3:16PM
RRM1

What top coat was used and what type of stain, although the stain looks like it was a combo, or pigment stain.

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 4:16PM
RRM1

What top coat was used and what type of stain, although the stain looks like it was a combo, or pigment stain.

Bookmark   September 26, 2011 at 9:47PM
live_wire_oak

The "threshold" is failing? Thresholds are high traffic spots with wear occurring from abrasion. They need re-coating far more often as normal maintenance. I see a metal threshold wear strip there though, so I'm not certain exactly what would be wearing in your case.

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
Stripping paint off of beams
Hi folks. We're working on a wonderful 100-year-old...
GaleForce
Maple floor, pine trim oak cabinets
Help please! We just sanded our maple floors and are...
JenG92
What sealer for reclaimed redwood deck?
We have old growth redwood from a water tank that DH...
Honu3421
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™