Farmhouse Table wannabe!

fency53September 9, 2009

I have done a temporary fix to an old small dining room table. I went out and got 4 2 x 10 pieces of wood. Planed them and attached them to the table. Because of a lack of proper tools and for ease of cleaning, I need to fill in the 3 small gaps that run the length of the table, but I'm not sure what to use. I also had questions as to what I should use to complete the table. The table will be painted black and then I need to put a polyurethane over it...I'm assuming.

Any help or advice would be great!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

I'd use an epoxy type wood filler since you're painting, not staining. Read the can of poly carefully, not all can be used over paint.

As an aside, how are you attaching these new boards to the existing table top? You need to consider wood movement otherwise the boards can crack or come apart at the seams.

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 11:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

A second warning on the need or desire to put polyurethane over paint. Enamel paint is essentially varnish with pigment. Why would adding varnish without pigment over the top do anything more for you? You risk it yellowing or peeling off. If you are really looking for a poly-like finish, get some oil-based floor and porch enamel.

Poly is not the be-all end-all of wood finishes, despite the way it's marketed.

Just avoid low-end latex paint.

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 1:43PM
More Discussions
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
Finally mounted upper kitchen cabinet to sloped wall!
I finally got my cabinets installed. In particular,...
stripedbass
Wood working plans
I'm sure most here heard of Teds woodworking plans....
hogan_nj
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™