Making front door

oldscoutSeptember 16, 2007

I want to make a new craftsman front door for my home. When I went to one of the larger hardwood dealers in the SF bay area and looked for 8/4 oak for it I looked through a lot of wood and could not find stock long enough or wide enough that was even close to straight and true. I have a jonter and planer so glue ups and milling are not a problem. Has anybody made a door by laminating 4/4 stock up to the 1 3/4 thickness needed for and exterior door?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sombreuil_mongrel

Very inadvisable. The stresses from laminating two boards and exposing them to extremes of heat and climate lead to great warping possibilities. The best old time thick doors were a poplar or white pine core with 1/8" hardwood veneer. In your case, you could resaw oak into 1/4" stock, laminate it to the core, then plane down to finished thickness. Unless your jambs are already determined, you could do a 2.25" door, which is a very substantial thickness.
The softwood core winds up much lighter than solid hardwood, which means it's easier on the hinges in the long run.
Casey

Bookmark   September 16, 2007 at 1:19PM
More Discussions
What is this wood? (Want to match)
When we bought our house we had the first floor floors...
cardinegreen
Installing new deck door
I've ordered and received a new custom pre-hung deck...
africanboy
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
species of window sill/molding?
I think this is my favorite window pic. Any idea what...
aptosca
Best Finish over Oil Based Stain
I stained my table with Early American by Minwax, both...
logies101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™