Accidentally Pierced 6/3 Cable - Splice?

toddimtMay 16, 2011

I was doing some remodeling work and a piece of metal on the drop ceiling cut into the 6/3 cable in my basement running from the main panel to an upstairs sub panel. There was a nice puff of smoke and the breaker popped.

I had cut back the outside sheathing to inspect the damage and it appears that only the red wire was pierced. The others look intact. In order to get power restored, I ran to HD and used a split bolt connector and wrapped it taught in the 3M rubber tape extra thick all around and then the vinyl tape. This was a temporary solution,as it is not in a junction box. I am now to seeing what my options are short of having to run a brand new 6/3 line.

Since this cable runs through a utility room in the basement, I could possibly cut the cable here and connect in an approved method and run a new wire from here to the breaker, since the damaged occurred between these 2 points. Not sure what the appropriate fix would be?

I have seen the Polaris connectors mentioned. Not sure if this is the best method or if these connectors need to be put in a junction box or not.

All options would be appreciated :).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

ALL splices must be in approved boxes, with adequate slack for working the connections.

Either remove the damaged section and run a new piece back to the panel, or insert two junction boxes with new cable between them to provide adequate working wire in the pair of new boxes to make connections.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 4:18PM
toddimt

I understand. However, I have two questions?

1) What is the best method to make the splice/repair? Polaris connectors? Just Split Bolts? Other?

2) 6ga cable is thick so I assume it probably needs allot of room for a bend radius, etc for slack and termination. Especially with three wires plus the ground. What do I use for the box, especially size, to accommodate making all of these terminations? Didn't know if there was a box like a disconnect box that could be used to make the connections but without the disconnect per se. Although not sure if something that large would be needed.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 4:27PM
brickeyee

"Didn't know if there was a box like a disconnect box that could be used to make the connections but without the disconnect per se."

You just need a junction box large enough.

The wire fill tables and bend radius data is in the code, you just need to look it up.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 10:00AM
More Discussions
Electrical Problem.
My mom's house has a problem with the lights temporarily...
Debra Johnson
Power to shed
Looking to run one 20 amp circuit to my shed and I'm...
ohio45424
Grounding Service panel 200amp
Is the new NEC saying to no longer run # 4 copper wire...
Installing 220/240V. 50/60Hz appliances from Europe
I hope to install a "Domino" modular system...
panchoandlefty
Troubleshooting Kohler 12RES Problem
I have a Kohler 12RES generator with an RDT 100 Amp...
sniffdog
Sponsored Products
Fusion Modular Four-Downlight Polished Chrome Chandelier
$470.00 | Bellacor
Foscarini | Rituals Linear Multipoint Pendant
$760.00 | YLighting
Twin Concealed Thermostatic Shower Faucet Valve With Built in Diverter
Hudson Reed
3-section Contemporary Outdoor Kinnabari Stripe High Back Chair Cushion (Set of
Overstock.com
Ruckman 3-lt Semi Flush Mount
LBC Lighting