Windows with or without Jambs

matt_in_ksNovember 21, 2012

Comparing window quotes for new construction and had a question about jambs. Anderson 400, Milgard Tuscany, and Superseal (lumber dealer really wanted to include windows but didn't have many options on the superseal) did not include jambs. When I asked one of the dealers said they often get damaged during construction and it's better to have your trim carpenters do it at the end. The Marvin integrity included jambs and that dealer said that is standard. I feel like it would be easier to make everything perfect if we installed jambs at the end. What are everyone's thoughts between the two?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmarse1

SuperSeal is a lower ed vinyl offering right at the bottom along with silverline and MI .
higher end vinyl would be Okna, HiMark, soft lite, gorell, sunrise. i know Okna can come with an extension jamb and im pretty sure the others do as well.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 11:16AM
matt_in_ks

I thought the integrity would let me have a wood interior in my more public places and then all ultrex in bedrooms and such to save cost but the all ultrex ended up being more expensive since the jamb wasn't wood. Really liked the look and feel of the integrity vs. the 400. I haven't completely ruled out vinyl but I was surprised with how close the integrity cost was to the Milgard so I'm leaning towards it. Especially if I'll need to add to my trim carpenter's bill going with the no jambs.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 12:05PM
mmarse1

matt
integrity is a nice window.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 2:03PM
HomeSealed

+1. Integrity is a nice choice... If you do look further at vinyl options, look for the brands that mmarse mentioned above. Milgard is decent, but I like those others better.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 2:54PM
matt_in_ks

Thanks guys, what are your thoughts on factory jambs vs. site installed?

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 4:08PM
mmarse1

i order jamb extentions quite frequently and never have an issue. it makes the install less labor intensive.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 6:29PM
eastbay10

Factory jamb extensions are the way to go. Much less expensive in the end for you versus the finish carpenter installing on site. If needed, he can add some nice finishing touches like stools and aprons.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 8:40PM
windowsonwashington

+1

If you can get it factory installed, it is much easier.

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 12:45PM
More Discussions
Quick advice re: matching door and window grills & transom size
I have french doors sitting between two sets of side...
happyallison
Replacement and New Coastal Impact Windows
We are doing major renovation on a waterfront home...
roenie
Need Help with new window brands
We are early in the new home construction process (finalizing...
mmdoh
Fiberglass Windows from Hardie????
We need to replace 3 windows in our family room. ...
dancingqueengw
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™