Replacing cord on double hung windows

ang0462November 22, 2011

I'm hoping someone can help me because I'm really at a loss on how to proceed. First, I can say that I am pretty handy with most household repairs, construction, etc. So no problem in that regard.

The cord of one of the double hung windows in my girlfriend's apartment snapped. I obtained some new cord, found a procedure on line for removing the vinyl "track" in the window frame, removed the sash and expected to see a "lid" of some sort, wood or metal, with a screw that I would remove. Once the lid was removed I should find the counterweight and from there I could proceed with replacing the cord.

Unfortunately, I found no lid of any kind. Another very hand friend also took a look. We removed the trim from the front of the window and couldn't see anything that way either. We are completely at a loss for how to access the counterweights and cord to repair this window. I'm not absolutely certain, but I believe they are Anderson windows, they are wood, and probably about 20 years old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Angelo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Go to a lumberyard or a window store that sells Andersen with the dimensions of the unit and the age. They will order you a new balance box, as far as I know replacing the cord in an existing box is a pain in the ass if even doable. The new box should be under $15.00.

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 10:59AM
brickeyee

Sounds like a window with a spring counterbalance instead of just a weight.
Some older designs still used cord to connect to the spring, often concealed in the window track itself.
Sash weight are not small things about 1.5 inches diameter and 10-12 inches long, and need a decent size weight pocket to operate.

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 3:32PM
windowsonwashington

Is there an "Andersen" etching in the glass?

A picture is worth a thousand words in this case.

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 6:07PM
More Discussions
Replace or Repair?
We are about to purchase a home outside Columbus, OH...
jackrh97
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...
My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl...
LittleHouseotPrairie
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
lisa_a
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™