Need window replacement recommendations -Cincinnati, OH

windowseekerNovember 8, 2012

Hi I need to replace my 30 yr old double hung wood windows and would like recommendations.

The bottom and part of the side frames outside are rotten. Previous owner just filled caulk in it to prevent water from seeping in. I have had some vinyl companies come for estimates and all they want to do is wrap the existing frame rot but I do not want that.

Recently talked to a Marvin Windows person who said I need full frame window replacements. I could either do the Integrity Wood Ultrex clad with aluminium or fiber glass on the outside. The cost he said will be around $1000 to $1200 a whole.

I have total of 27 windows including 4 half rounds (in good shape), 2 picture windows (10x30) and 2 ovals (attic).

Can you please help guide to find the product that will best meet my needs and be the best bang for the buck, without breaking the bank.

Will appreciate.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

I would recommend exactly what the Marvin Dealer is recommending using either the Marvin Ultimates or Integrity by Marvin (either all Ultrex or Wood/Ultrex)

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 11:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington

The Integrity is a nice option.

Are you needing the look of wood? I would kick out any company, regardless of material, that is going to cap over wood rot.

Best bang for the buck is still going to be the vinyl family at this point and inserts, even with some sill rot that gets repaired, are absolutely allowable and proper if done right.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 9:15PM
More Discussions
Gigantic skylight needs replacing
A windstorm wisked away the living room skylight in...
coolbeansw
Pella Slider
We have a Pella slider that was installed in early...
hopesprings_gw
Replace or Repair?
We are about to purchase a home outside Columbus, OH...
jackrh97
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
Whistling in windows with big gusts
Hello, I had new Okna 500s installed this past spring...
sgilliatt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™