arc fault breaker trips

topcat162May 11, 2010

The arc fault breaker in the main panel for a bedroom trips after being reset, usually after a few minutes to hours later. The circuit protected consists of 4 ceiling can lights, ceiling fan, fluorescent closet light. But all these are off when it trips! How do I test what is causing the tripping, or can I just replace the breaker with a regular breaker? I must add that one of the can lights for some reason doesn't work.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hendricus

Fix the can light and see if that cures the problem. Sounds like the arc fault breaker is doing its job.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 2:11PM
topcat162

Thanks...I did kinda feel the can was the problem..however, I was able to open the circuit box and redid all the connectors, seemed the blk wire was loose, but that did not fix it. Could it be a faulty thermal protector? I guess I can cut that out of the circuit and wire nut it, as my next attempt. But I'm thinking a pinched wire and a fixture by fixture elimination process in the attic..it's a low hip roof and I think I'll just about fit..any other suggestions before I commit to that torture? Thanks in advance...

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 4:24PM
groundrod

When you are through with that wirenutting trick you could go cut the brake lines on your car too.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 6:44PM
pharkus

topcat162, if you bypass the thermal protector for testing, please don't leave your bypass in there permanently. If it turns out to be the problem, disconnect it and leave it until you can obtain a proper protector for replacement.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 1:54AM
hendricus

If you are going up there take the complete can light out of the circuit. It doesn't work anyway so nothing is lost.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 8:47AM
bus_driver

Remove the lamp from the fixture and look in the cavity. The access method to the junction box should be obvious. Attic trip unnecessary.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 11:32AM
topcat162

Thanks y'all...yes, I can drop each can and access the junction box to isolate the bad can from below, I will try to bypass the bad can thermal protector, n' if it works, will put in new can, also will try to isolate fan and closet light at switches first to test those circuits anyway. Thanks to all. Brake line, really!

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 3:06PM
whispertoo

If you do the brake line thing please invite groundrod for a ride- I think he needs some excitement in his life.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Replacing fan speed dial back to standard toggle?
I am removing a ceiling fan and replacing it with a...
onkyokoi
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
Re-wiring range to service spa
what connectors are appropriate for joining 6-3 NMB...
justsomeotherdude
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™