Can you help me size my window grills please?

BelfastBoundNovember 29, 2013

Our window salesman does not give advice and said to ask our architect who we sent packing months ago.

DH and I have SGS - Skinny Grill Syndrome and to alleviate it we are going fixed interior/exterior with spacer bar. Beyond that we don't know how to make the grills look right in the window

We have a lot of Andersen 30x30 with a simple 2 lite over 2 lite for a craftsman appearance. This is a lot of glass and I think it calls for the largest grill possible - that which is customarily used on a door 1" 1/8.

What do you think? And if we go this route, would we do the same size on double hung windows which are cottage style, 2 over 2 in upper sash and that sash is sized about 30x30 for RO.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Windows on Washington

You should be able to get an Andersen rep to give you a rendering of the windows with the proposed grid patterns. This will give you the visual and will let you sanity check the size and pattern.

Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 7:36AM
BelfastBound

Thx Wow I will try to get this rep to earn the $7,000 premium over Home Depot prices that we are paying just for the "convenience" of doing business with him - The quote does have a tiny sketch next to each window which was helpful in seeing that the sizes we picked out would not lend themselves to that "4 square" look. Is that the rendering you refer to? The grills are about the width of a sharp pencil in these 1 inch sketches.

I was told that Andersen is raising their prices at the end of end next week. Has anyone else heard same?

Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 2:00PM
PRO
Windows on Washington

It is not that difficult to plug it into their system and get a full sized rendering so I would just ask them to produce it in a variant that allows you to see what you need to see.

Good luck with the project.

Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 8:15AM
PRO
Windows on Washington

Haven't heard anything on the pricing stuff but we don't do that much Andersen business.

That being said, we have gotten hit with regular price increases from all of our vendors of late. Seems like the ACA and the general devaluation of the dollar are taking a toll.

Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 8:17AM
More Discussions
What size windows - 10' + Cathedral Ceiling
I like the look of the hearth room pictured below....
burbmomoftwo
Soft-lite Purchase of Gorell
I was looking to get 4 more windows (Gorell, as I love...
mav3481
Need reassurance! Pella windows not a bad decision?
My house currently has 4 kinds of windows - contractor's...
Lrw2a
Is this too much to pay?
My mom has two sets of French doors she needs to have...
joaniben
Any thoughts on the new Beechworth windows by James Hardie
Hi, We are waiting for our building permit and are...
kzim_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™