Flashed Properly?

xrayvisionNovember 17, 2010

Had sliding doors replaced. They left the old aluminum sill pan in place and put some black tarry caulk - Butyl I think they called it. No bithathane on the bottom, just over the sides and top over the face of the slider. (the website won't let me spell bithathane correctly)

The also replaced some windows, without a bithathane sill pan. I had to show them a youtube video showing how people do it, and made them take out the window and put one in. I talked to person in charge of the store and he said using the butyl is the standard way to install windows and sliders, not a bithathane sill pan. From what it seems like using butyl only is using the old way.

Will I be ok?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
someone2010

I just saw a episode of This Old House where they installed a replacement vinyl window. It was a casement window. The flashing was part of the window and was an extension of the vinyl. The old sill pan had been renmoved because they said it was not needed. The window is installed by shimming to the correct height and level. Then the flashing was nailed to the rough opening to attach the window. Next they went around the window with roofing felt. I believe this was caulked first. Next, a special window flashing fabric (looked like shiney plastic) was applied. I think it was self adhesive. Finally, the trim and sill were snapped into place (also part of the window made by the manufacturer) and the edges were caulked. A third grader could have done it.
If it were me, I would want something better than butyl caulk.
Is this better than the old way?

Bookmark   November 24, 2010 at 12:11AM
More Discussions
Pros please help differentiate between two window manufacturers...
Hello, we are the midst of a new construction build...
rebph
Marvin Ultimate Clad Double Hung SDL - With or Without Spacer Bar
I am looking to buy the Double Hung, Marvin Ultimate...
cdrigans
Best Window for Seasonal Cabin
I am building a small cabin in northeast Wisconsin...
mjlambert08
Plantation Shutters Pros/Cons, need advice
Hi, I'm new to this website and owning a home so forgive...
rehsanipoor
Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance
Wondering which is the better new construction vinyl...
16cassie
Sponsored Products
Juno Trac-Lites Black T-Bar End Feed R36BL
$14.97 | Home Depot
Chianti Zinfandel Set Of Four Stemmed Wine Glasses
Classic Hostess
WAC Double Droid Black Low Voltage LED Track Head
Euro Style Lighting
Sterling Silver 25-Light Clear Heritage Handcut Crystal Chandelier, 45W x 61H x
Bellacor
Green Solid Molded Wood Toilet Seat
Overstock.com