Stain not drying

deedee-2008September 3, 2009

Everything was going smoothly in my project to repaint and restain our staircase to the second floor until I stained the rails and posts. I'm guessing that the wood is poplar; it definitely does not look like oak or maple (house built 1996). Everything in the staircase was just clear-coated with something, not painted or stained. I sanded down the rails and posts to remove the finish, applied a pre-conditioner, and applied one coat of Minwax's oil-based Provincial stain, wiping it down after 15 mins. The directions on the can say to wait overnight to apply poly. Well, after 24hrs of perfect/no humidity weather, excellent ventilation, and even use of a fan on it last night, the finish is still extremely tacky. I went over it a few times with rags and ended up wiping off a significant amount of stain that apparently never sunk in the wood, yet it's still tacky. I've refinished furniture before and never had this problem. What is my next step? Any advice is appreciated since those handrails get alot of use!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deedee-2008

OK, I went on Minwax's Q&A site. Apparently, I did not rub away the extra stain hard enough, which left the extra to become tacky. I used mineral spirits to wipe away the stain. Back to square one, I guess.

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 10:03AM
HandyMac

Did you sand off ALL the previous finish or just rought it with sandpaper? MinWax oil based stain will not stain over a finish, it has to be applied to bare wood.

Also, stain has a shelf life, if it is too old, it will not dry properly.

Try getting the stain from a Sherwin Williams paint store, their stock is usually fresher.

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 10:08AM
deedee-2008

You know, I can't bet my life that I sanded whatever finish was on the railing. I thought I did, based on my previous work on a table and chairs, but apparently not so maybe. I just bought the stain from HD, so not sure how old it is. I'm still working on removing it with the mineral spirits. Just when I thought it's done, it still feels tacky afterwards. :(

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 12:15PM
sombreuil_mongrel

You clearly failed to remove all of the existing finish. Were you applying stain to bare poplar, it would have dried to the touch in 2 hours.
I would scrap the liquid stain altogether and use a gel stain. No pre-conditioner is needed.
Casey

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 7:51PM
deedee-2008

Thanks everyone. Chalk this up to a learning experience.

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 2:45PM
More Discussions
Can this door be repaired?
We're renovating a 1920 house and this bedroom door...
weedyacres
Refinishing bedroom furniture
Hi everyone! Need advise please. We refinished a computer...
glittergirl_tx
are these cabinets discolored from cigarettes?
Not sure if this was a refacing gone bad, or nicotine...
cindywhitall
Routers
I am thinking of getting a router, never owned one....
hogan_nj
Removing excess dried tung oil, over wax...
Hello, I was refreshing the tung oil finish on my walnut...
pasigal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™