Installing a Pre hung mahogany door, need help fast...

station1September 21, 2007

I am installing this door on Sunday and I need help on how to install this, please reply by the end of today (3:30).

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fnmroberts

Is your framing built? It should be about 1/2" wider than the outside of the pre-hung door frame (or 2" wider than the door width).

You'll need some shims, a level, hammer and finish nails - 3".

Set the pre-hung door centered in the framing with the face frame flush with your drywall. Plumb the hinge side. Place shims and nail through the pre-hung frame and shims into the wall framing. Keep it plumb!

Shim the lock side using the same technique, then the top. It's really pretty easy. All that is left is to set the nails and install the lockset. Good luck.

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 10:47AM
station1

Thanks for the help. This is a 1950 home, and there is a lot of trim (dental tooth, etc.) on the outside of the home. Is this possible to install from the inside so that I do not disturb any of the outside trim? The width might be an issue, I think I have a half inch max on either side, is this to little? How would I go about making it wider? Would this mean I have to cut into the studs and make it wider? Please advise, I do appreciate your help.

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 11:58AM
station1

Sorry I am new at this and just posted this twice. Thanks for the help. This is a 1950 home, and there is a lot of trim (dental tooth, etc.) on the outside of the home. Is this possible to install from the inside so that I do not disturb any of the outside trim? The width might be an issue, I think I have a half inch max on either side, is this to little? How would I go about making it wider? Would this mean I have to cut into the studs and make it wider? Please advise, I do appreciate your help.

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 12:04PM
More Discussions
What sealer for reclaimed redwood deck?
We have old growth redwood from a water tank that DH...
Honu3421
Walnut Veneer Issues
Hi, I'd so greatly appreciate your help in identifying...
RChicago
What is this wood? (Want to match)
When we bought our house we had the first floor floors...
cardinegreen
Wood surface with bad smell
I purchased used entertainment shelf from Kijiji and...
markintosh
Installing new deck door
I've ordered and received a new custom pre-hung deck...
africanboy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™