Replacement Glass for Custom Windows

rletulleNovember 16, 2009

Finally bought a home; now the fun starts. We have a large north facing (no direct sunlight) window in my living room. This window is roughly 16 feet wide by 6 feet high. It is made up of five 3' wide panes of single pane plate glass (old 1952 house) with wood dividers between the panes (maybe 2-3" each). The window starts less than 18" from the floor, so CA code says they should be tempered glass. We have a rambunctious 22 month old so I am either going to use a 3M safety film or install tempered glass. However, my wife wondered if we could add thermal protection as well.

The window is stationary with no opening mechanism. There is a 1.25" inside stop and a ~2.5" stool (not sure if I have all of these term correct). It seems like there is enough room to add a 0.5" thick glass adn remove 0.5" from the inside stop.

Would this work? Can you buy low U-value glass for this type of custom replacement? If so, from where?

Thanks,

-Ray

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rletulle

Here are some photos for the post above:

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 1:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sfjeff

if I were in your shoes, I'd consider at replacement windows that meet the tax-rebate guidelines as a potentially cost-effective alternative. I've been pointed to Simonton 7300 or 7500 windows here, and am hardly an expert. I do know they can make a pretty big window, potentially letting you split that into two "windows" with, if you wanted them, sliders. I'd guess the cost to be around $2,000-$3,500 for that opening. Get several estimates -- our job is coming in with estimated anywhere between $2,300 and $5,500.

In San Francisco, at least, the heat loss through the glass is reasonably small, so even going from single-pane to double-pane didn't make sense for the Victorian windows we need to rebuild. With replacement windows, the advantage of the "LowE366" is that you can get back 30% of the cost of the window itself (not labor) as a tax rebate. I was quoted an additional $2 per square foot to upgrade from conventional dual-pane glass to LowE366 (though Simonton is running a "special" right now, for zero incremental cost, it seems).

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
Marvin Ultimate double hung or casement
I am replacing some rotting windows and am installing...
salbwil
Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance
Wondering which is the better new construction vinyl...
16cassie
Love my New Front Door, But It's Still Cold in Entryway
I have my new steel entry door installed with new sidelites....
sahmmy_gw
need window advice about a retro fit window in new opening thats finis
can i put a retro fit in a new window opening if i...
abatt64
incorporating old leaded glass in new casement windows
We own a home with large leaded glass windows (21)...
prospect
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™