Replacement Glass for Custom Windows

rletulleNovember 16, 2009

Finally bought a home; now the fun starts. We have a large north facing (no direct sunlight) window in my living room. This window is roughly 16 feet wide by 6 feet high. It is made up of five 3' wide panes of single pane plate glass (old 1952 house) with wood dividers between the panes (maybe 2-3" each). The window starts less than 18" from the floor, so CA code says they should be tempered glass. We have a rambunctious 22 month old so I am either going to use a 3M safety film or install tempered glass. However, my wife wondered if we could add thermal protection as well.

The window is stationary with no opening mechanism. There is a 1.25" inside stop and a ~2.5" stool (not sure if I have all of these term correct). It seems like there is enough room to add a 0.5" thick glass adn remove 0.5" from the inside stop.

Would this work? Can you buy low U-value glass for this type of custom replacement? If so, from where?

Thanks,

-Ray

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rletulle

Here are some photos for the post above:

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 1:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sfjeff

if I were in your shoes, I'd consider at replacement windows that meet the tax-rebate guidelines as a potentially cost-effective alternative. I've been pointed to Simonton 7300 or 7500 windows here, and am hardly an expert. I do know they can make a pretty big window, potentially letting you split that into two "windows" with, if you wanted them, sliders. I'd guess the cost to be around $2,000-$3,500 for that opening. Get several estimates -- our job is coming in with estimated anywhere between $2,300 and $5,500.

In San Francisco, at least, the heat loss through the glass is reasonably small, so even going from single-pane to double-pane didn't make sense for the Victorian windows we need to rebuild. With replacement windows, the advantage of the "LowE366" is that you can get back 30% of the cost of the window itself (not labor) as a tax rebate. I was quoted an additional $2 per square foot to upgrade from conventional dual-pane glass to LowE366 (though Simonton is running a "special" right now, for zero incremental cost, it seems).

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
Install expectations?
just had windows installed and before I complain to...
rosebay
Need Help with new window brands
We are early in the new home construction process (finalizing...
mmdoh
Deciding between Marvin, Pella, Anderson, and Lincoln
We are adding a small addition to our home, and at...
juddgirl2
new construction vs "replacement" windows
I am somewhat confused from reading various company...
mmdoh
Window in a shower?
We are planning a remodel of our second floor master...
numbersjunkie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™