100 percent novice about electrical

gwbr54May 7, 2011

The only thing I know about electrical matters is not to fool with something that I don't understand. However, I have a repetitive problem (each spring) -- my garage and outside power outlets don't work.

Last year, I called an electrician and was embarrassed that he fixed the problem in about a minute, by tripping a blue colored circuit breaker, located at the bottom center of my circuit breaker box. He said (more or less) that the blue circuit breaker served was like the GFCI switch in bathrooms, since the outside outlets don't have a GFCI reset.

So this year, same problem. But flipping the blue switch didn't cure anything. I also flipped the circuit breakers labelled for outside and garage outlets, but still no juice. Any suggestions? My electrician is great - I really like him, but I don't want to get him out for another 1-minute job!

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Turn the breaker absolutely and completely OFF. Then turn it back on. A spring-loaded mechanism inside is "cocked" much like a firearm. An overload or ground fault is the "trigger" that fires that mechanism. Turning it OFF begins the process of resetting the mechanism.

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 4:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gwbr54

BINGO, Bus-driver. I did what you said; flipped that breaker more than once. Electrician did it once, and recognized that it wasn't really re-setting. So he pushed it a little harder the second time, and it re-set properly. (Why didn't I think of that? Your absolutely and completely OFF should have been the clue.) Oh, well - live and learn.

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
Please Critique Low-Volt (Home Automation) Plan/Proposal
GW/Houzz Community, As always, I want to thank this...
Andrew K.
Doorbell goes off by itself.
Can anyone tell me why this would happen? It's a wired...
stu2900
Need help with a rocker switch
I need to replace it in our SunHeat radiant room heater....
bold_as_love
Light boxes on/in 6X8 timber floor joists for log home
Just trying to figure how to wire a couple light fixtures/chandelier...
yota_85
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™