Stain won't take on part of door

abbey1930August 24, 2005

I stained a door today, but the stain isn't taking on two small sections of the door. This is the door on my half bathroom in my basement. This is a house built in 1950, so the basement ceiling is low. In order to find a door which would fit, my handyman bought a slab door, and cut it to fit. After he cut it the pre cut hole for the door knob was in the wrong place, so he cut out a new one and plugged the previous hole with a wood plug cut out of the discarded wood. It is this wood plug that won't take the stain. Does anyone have any suggestions for staining this small circular patch? I tried sanding it again but the stain still didn't take. Is there a product I can use which would make the patch take the stain?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Abbey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Wayne_Georgia

It's probably coated with glue. Most glue won't take stain. If so, this is tough. What kind of glue did he use? You'll need to remove the glue from the surface of the plug. A cabinet scraper might work. Scrape the new piece, then sand it and try it again. A Belt sander or Random orbital sander would do the job, but if you've already stained the rest of the door, it would be hard to get a good match on the newly sanded portion.
Some alcohol based stains will penetrate glue squeese-out, but this would be a long shot and might bring on more problems as the glue usually doesn't stain true to the color that the wood does.
You may be able to find a Colored Permanent Marker that would give you a reasonable match before you put on the final finish.
Good Luck..

Bookmark   August 25, 2005 at 8:54AM
More Discussions
Gel stain on stair treads and handrail?
I have read many of the inspirational posts in the...
amt782
sanding sealer on cherry?
Hi all! I'm having a painter do some new doors along...
Fori is not pleased
southern yellow pine ceilings - how to tone down yellow
Hi, all. We are currently building: natural cherry...
hjs
Right size tip-out tray for kitchen sink cabinet
My kitchen sink cabinet is 24" wide. I want to...
africanboy
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Damage on a Solid Walnut Table
I need to fix some damage from nail polish remover...
alaurenb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™