Older window very difficult to open--help!

loves2readOctober 31, 2012

We have 27 yr old house we are selling...windows are original...double paned, aluminum but with thermal break which was an upgrade when house was built...They have tilt in feature on bottom ones and a weird latch system...

Under the bottom lip of the window there are two pieces which slide--

Slide them far enough and they lock the window...

Put them in the right location and squeeze with bottom lip and the window unlocks and you can slide them up...

There is loud click on most of them when you hit the sweet spot...

We have contract and the buyer had an inspection---the guy said that 3 windows wouldn't open...2 in dining room where there are 3 windows and 1 in corner bedroom...there are two front bedrooms but one is more "corner" location than the other.

We got all windows in the dining room open (two were pains) and got the one in bedroom open---sent photos to our RE agent who sent to buyer and she was satisfied they were functional...

Then we tried to open the window in other front bedroom-- in case that was the one he meant--It wouldn't open...

We tried moving latches to different positions along bottom rail, tried pressing down to make it fully latched so it would unlock but just couldn't get it open...

I had the windows washed before we listed about 3 weeks ago and they all opened then or the guys would have said something--they had to tilt them out to clean because the screens aren't made to be removed...

Anyone familiar with this type of window?

Any suggestions for how to get this to open? And make it easier to open in future?

Any way to tell if the latch system is really broken w/o trying so hard and breaking the glass maybe or all my fingernails?

Appreciate any suggestions/info...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

Pictures are always worth a thousand words in situations such as this.

You will get more advice and feedback with some decent pictures.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 12:17AM
loves2read

I know but when I posted I was not at the house with the windows--we don't live there...
Just took chance that someone up late might see the thread and offer an opinion...

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 12:43AM
windowsonwashington

I think I know the style you speak of and it is more a measure of applied force, albeit surgically and not with a sledge, but still requires a bit of uumph to get them open.

Sounds like they are just stuck.

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 8:19AM
loves2read

Yes--that is exactly right--surgically applied force

Going over there later this AM to try to get it to open
Is there any way if we do get it to open to lubricate the mechanism to make it easier to open in future?
We have some spray lubricant we got for garage door--NOT WD40--

And these windows do have some water condensate dried around them from the years of having sprinklers run in garden beds around the front of the house...I thought maybe I should run a sharp knife edge along the frame where the window's edges are to break any dried crud that might be sticking...

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 8:28AM
More Discussions
Which LoE coating ?
New construction. House located in Knoxville, Tennessee Front...
buildinse
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...
My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl...
LittleHouseotPrairie
Simonton 5500 v. Soft-Lite Pro (replacement and new )
Hi, We are remodeling our house in Washington DC. We...
amy2905
Contractor introduced me to yet another window, Vi Win Tech windows???
A building contractor we are using for a garage guesthouse...
happyallison
Best garden window?
I am remodeling our galley kitchen. It's small and...
shadey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™