Exterior door: wood or fiberglass?

barbnstellaOctober 18, 2009

I need to replace my front door in my 1940s house. The current (likely original) door is wood and rotted at the bottom which makes for a large gap that is very drafty. Summers are humid and winters damp; but the door is now protected by a non-winterized, but enclosed, porch. I'd love to keep with the wood (like the orginal one), but I wonder about heating/cooling efficiency. Is fiberglass better? Also I read another entry here that mentioned how tough it can be to try to install a fiberglass or metal door into a frame originally built for wood.

Any insights?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lakeyjim

do not try to install any door into an existing frame. you will be sorry. if the door is rotted, the frame can't be too good. When you buy a door, 99% come with a frame. Pull your interior trim off and the exterior brickmold. Then use a sawzall to cut any nails or screws holding the frame to the studs.

The door should now easily be removed. When you get a new door be sure to specify whether you have 2x4 or 2x6 walls. By a door with a "frame saver" or other product to insure the door frame does not rot out.

If you have hot, humid or damp condtions I would definitly not get a wooden door. There are some nice fiberglass doors that look really good in wood grain. You will pay more for a fir grain look than a dated oak grain look but it is worth it.

Go to a lumber yard and ask about a Thermatru, or other professional product.

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
Modern Windows
Can anyone suggest an affordable modern window? Thanks!...
shorty
Love my New Front Door, But It's Still Cold in Entryway
I have my new steel entry door installed with new sidelites....
sahmmy_gw
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
Marvin Ultimate double hung or casement
I am replacing some rotting windows and am installing...
salbwil
Marvin Integrity/Sherwin Williams
Hi Not sure if this has been posted before but this...
sheila512
Sponsored Products
Compass Quad Exterior Wall / Ceiling Mount
Lightology
Outdoor Lanterns. Parisian 1-Light Hanging Outdoor Old Penny Bronze Lantern - (1
Home Depot
Alaterre Heritage Reclaimed Wood TV Stand
Overstock.com
Bath Authority DreamLine Allure Shower Door (60"-67")
Modern Bathroom
Strata Rug
Design Within Reach
Professor E Wall Plaque
| Dot & Bo
Delview Stainless Steel Lighted Medicine Cabinet with Mirror
Signature Hardware
AICO Furniture - Windsor Court 6 Piece Queen Mansion Bedroom Set...
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™