adding an outlet

patsp38May 2, 2010

My bathroom is now gutted, I'm looking to add an outlet to the outside wall drawing the electric from the bathroom light switch. The wiring is 14/2, can I run 12/2 appx. 2 1/2 feet to the outlet, or will there be any problems. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

If you have everything gutted, now is the time to bring it all up to new code revisions (that are actually pretty old).

Bathrooms are required to have 20 amps for the required GFCI protected receptacle.

Why would you run 12/2 on a 15 amp circuit?

15 amps is on the low side for outdoor receptacles.

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 10:58AM
patsp38

that is very helpful, thank you

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 11:50AM
joed

If it is an outdoor receptacle it can't be on the same circuit as the bathroom receptacle. Bathroom is required to be dedicated to bathroom only.

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 2:50PM
mike_kaiser_gw

I think your question is, "I want to add an outdoor receptacle by connecting to my bathroom circuit and I have this piece of 12/2 cable sitting around. Can I use that instead of running out to the home center to buy 14/2?"

The short answer is, yes, you can use a heavier gauge wire.

As others have pointed out, current code requires bathrooms to be served by a dedicated 20 amp circuit. So it might not be bad idea why you have the walls open to run a new 20 amp circuit for the bathroom.

If you use high draw outdoor electric tools (leaf blower, etc.) you might want to make that receptacle on a 20 amp circuit as well (although not the same circuit as the bathroom!). If all you plug in is Christmas lights (and your last name isn't Griswold) then 15 amps is fine.

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
Insulation in electrical box
While in my attic the other day I saw an open electrical...
sgilliatt
Need help Replacing old dimmer that used only 2 wires in a three way
I need advice as to which wire to connect to which...
txmat
electrical outlet distance to radiator
how far from a radiator should a wall electrical outlet...
amsayan
Spa Capacitor question
My spa is wired for 220v. The pump motor is rated for...
pugmark
Too much load for circuit?
I have 200 amp service to the main panel (which has...
zver11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™