miter slot on Craftsman table saw

john_alAugust 19, 2009

My sister is a novice woodworker who lives almost 600 miles away from me. She has a problem with her table saw-the miter slot has some protusions on the surface that interfere with the miter gauge as it slides in the slot. While I have not seen the saw, she sent me pictures and I cannot for the life of me figure what the protusions are for.

It is a Craftsman saw, and I do not know the model number. The protusions are level with the table surface and protrude into the slot. They do not go all the way to the bottom of the slot.

I've not posted here in a long time, and could not find a way to attach a picture.

Is anyone familiar with this?

John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HandyMac

This table saw does not have the traditional 3/4" x 3/8" miter slot and uses a very odd 5/8" wide T-slot.

She will need to either file/sand the miter guage or get an adjustable one.

Sears has a long history of making parts that only fit their equipment---after market parts and equipment do not fit.

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 9:28PM
mike_kaiser_gw

Perhaps you can post those pictures here? Basically you need to upload the to something like Flickr. The hosting site will give you a link. Then you use the html code img src="URL-of-website" to include them in your message. It's really not that hard.

With that said I had a 1950's Craftsman table saw with non-standard miter slots. Instead of the typical 3/4" it was something like 23/32. I bought an aftermarket miter gauge and had to grind the bar down to fit.

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 9:36PM
john_al

From what I can tell from the pictures she's sent, the miter gauge itself has a grove running the length on both sides. If you fit the protusions (I don't know what else to call them) into this slot, it would raise the gauge above the table.

If the slot is T-shaped, I can't tell it from the pictures. I can see that the slot appears to be wider than traditional ones.

Thanks,

John

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
Varnish cracking and brittle on table with Inlay work
The varnish or poly is looking so bad I want to redo...
bossyvossy
Need help with staining alder cabinets
Can someone share with me the right way to stain the...
aktillery9
Best clear finish for exterior Douglas Fir door
New Exterior Douglas Fir Door & Jam. Link to Simmons...
kisu
Pear tree wood
Is their any value in Pear tree wood? My mother has...
Pooh Bear
Table saw for hobby work.
I searched this question on here and I did find a few...
greenhavenrdgarden
Sponsored Products
Dimplex White Ebony Electric Fireplace - BFSL-BMBLK
Hayneedle
Beveled Glass Mirror
Grandin Road
Home Decorators Sisal Area Rug: Marblehead Chocolate and Camel 3' x 5'
$59.00 | Home Depot
Dransfield & Ross Mitered Phyllo Metallic Pillow In Pearl
Beyond Stores
Cassandra Duvet Cover - Super Queen
$737.50 | FRONTGATE