single hung question

mikora7October 30, 2010

We have single hung windows in our living room. Recently both of the clips on the top of the lower window broke. These are the clips that keep the window in the track ~ so with them broken we can't use the window at all since there's nothing to hold them vertically in the track. We have no idea who the manufacturer is to ask about replacement parts. It is one section of a large, three section window but it looks like it could stand on it's own as it has a frame around it.

So my question is... are single hung windows universally made so we could find a couple replacement clips and replace them or are windows made so that when a part breaks you pretty much have to replace the window, frame/casing and all?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

No, parts are for the most part unique to the brand and all companies sell replacement parts. Figuring out you brand my not be that easy. However there are 2 companies I have used that sell alot of replacement part and maybe you can locate the parts on the sites to order the parts. Try these Blaine Hardware or Strybuc.

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 1:01PM
skydawggy

Might try here also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Window parts

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 9:38PM
mikora7

Thanks! We'll check out these links and see if we can find out the part. Is there any way to determine the brand if it's not obvious?

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 9:15AM
skydawggy

Try looking for a label on either the sash or frame. If it isn't there, you will probably have to call a window repair company to fix it.

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 9:52AM
More Discussions
Any thoughts on the new Beechworth windows by James Hardie
Hi, We are waiting for our building permit and are...
kzim_gw
Installation of Steel Front Entry Door + Sidelites - 1 Man or 2?
Hello, everyone, I have posted here a few times about...
sahmmy_gw
Need reassurance! Pella windows not a bad decision?
My house currently has 4 kinds of windows - contractor's...
Lrw2a
please help with choice of replacement window
hello everyone....I need some help deciding on which...
balboa64
Milgard SunCoat vs SunCoat Max vs I89
We're getting ready to remodel our kitchen and DR,...
lisa_a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™