How to remove insulated Anderson window glass from frame?

walrusOctober 23, 2010

Have a 1982 wooden narrowline Anderson bay window that has two crank out sides. The glass is 3/8" insulated.

One of the side windows has a crack and the glass is fogging.

Rather than spend $142+ for a replacement window (p/n 0517320) consisting of the primed wooden frame and glass, I'd like to remove the insulated insert and replace it with typical window glass.

Help on how to do that appreciated. Do I remove the trim that looks like glazing and pop out the insert, are the 1/4" plastic plugs on the interior of the window of importance.... where to begin?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jocobe

You would need to remove the exterior glazing beads in order to remove the glass. The glazing beads degrade with age and could very likely break. You can get new ones from Andersen, if need be. The plastic plugs on the interior of the sash are for interior grilles to fit onto the sash.

Bookmark   November 4, 2010 at 9:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan_s_thefirst

You'd be crazy to downgrade from double insulated glass to single glazed if I read you right. Any competent glazier ought to be able to supply a replacement insert, as jocobe said you remove the wooden beads. The replacement glass is caulked accordingly.

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
Pella Slider
We have a Pella slider that was installed in early...
hopesprings_gw
Replace or Repair?
We are about to purchase a home outside Columbus, OH...
jackrh97
Any thoughts on the new Beechworth windows by James Hardie
Hi, We are waiting for our building permit and are...
kzim_gw
Installation of Steel Front Entry Door + Sidelites - 1 Man or 2?
Hello, everyone, I have posted here a few times about...
sahmmy_gw
Whistling in windows with big gusts
Hello, I had new Okna 500s installed this past spring...
sgilliatt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™