Jeld-wen or Bonneville aluminum clad ?

julabugOctober 30, 2008

I am trying to decide between two manufacturers for Aluminum Clad wood windows. I need to buy about 17 windows for a new addition. Next year, i hope to buy another 12 to replace the old ones on the main house. We are in CT in a wooded area. We have all 4 seasons here, and real issues with the cost of heating fuel.

The pricing is comparable between the two. Jeld-Wen Tradition Plus from Home Depot is slightly less cost, and has a lead time of about 3 weeks. BUT I've been reading a lot of negative experiences homeowners have had with Jeld-Wen product failures, and poor service from the company. The Bonnevilles have a lead time of approx 6 weeks and are from an independent distributor. I have not seen any negative comments about Bonneville.

My concern is that it's almost November and the addition is already under construction which means the windows will be installed in possible freezing weather.

Any advice to help me make this choice is much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
galefarm

At the risk of getting lambasted again by all the anti Pella people on here, my choice would not be either one of Jeld-Wen or Bonneville. I prefer Pella hands down the service in this area for Jeld-Wen and Bonneville in this area is non existent.The quality of the windows is fair at best, and depending on series being used Pella can be comparable in price. Lead time on the Pella is running about 3 weeks. Just my ever so humble opinion. I know there will be those who come out of the woodwork to slam Pella, but I have been installing them for many years and never had a major problem, when a problem does arise such as a broken balance or a stress crack, I have never had a problem in getting service out to take care of it

Bookmark   October 31, 2008 at 6:51PM
skydawggy

Give it a rest Galefarm. Many of the "anti-Pella idiots" you constantly refer to are homeowners who have purchased Pella products and had problems with them. All your Pro-Pella cheering will never make that fact go away. So just admit that Pella has it's problems just like many other manufacturers. In fact, Pella probably has fewer problems than most but, ignoring that and calling homeowners who have had problems idiots, won't likely win Pella very many new customers.

Bookmark   November 1, 2008 at 6:32PM
drjames2

Don't walk, RUN from Pella alum clad. I have a very expensive home with 22 alum clad Pella windows. They are all rotting!! Don't listen to people that disregard good advice as "anti Pella"... there is a reason!

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 3:41PM
info_suntechwindowsct_com

Bonneville has extruded aluminum cladding. Much nicer than the roll form aluminum cladding of Pella.

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 9:45AM
More Discussions
Thinking about installing Jeld-Wen Premium Vinyl Windows...
My husband and I are looking into getting Low E vinyl...
LittleHouseotPrairie
French Door Advice (looking for affordable alternative)
We are looking to replace a sliding door with a french...
state00
Dual pane window retrofit, for sound blocking, question on thickness.
Been looking at options on vinyl windows with better...
mystrwizard
Air and Mulch Infiltration Through Andersen Windows
I moved into a new house Feb '05 in Blacksburg Virginia...
don_ball
need window advice about a retro fit window in new opening thats finis
can i put a retro fit in a new window opening if i...
abatt64
Sponsored Products
Modway Round Wenge Plywood Coffee Table - EEI-509-WEN
$99.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™