Fiberglass vs. Vinyl

Elle1234October 15, 2012

Beyond the strength and pricing that make Fiberglass different from Vinyl, are there other upkeep elements that come into play?

Will I need to repaint the exterior of the Fiberglass windows?

Are there other concerns for using one vs. the other?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmarse1

when comparing. high quality vinyl to fiberglass the difference would be performance. Higher end vinyl are better performers both structuraly and from an energy efficiency perspective. many customers dont realize this because they are used to seeing the lower end vinyl brands sold at home improvement stores.
that being said, InLine make a very nice fiberglass window and i believe its a better performer than the marvin.
higher end vinyl such as Okna / HiMark, Sunrise, and Soft lite are sold through a select network of dealers.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 9:17PM
HomeSealed

Fiberglass offers the flexibility to paint the interior, whereas vinyl does not. The "strength" factor as well as the expansion issue are dramatically overstated by those pushing fiberglass products.
Some fiberglass windows are very nice (particularly those made in Canada like Inline that have excellent performance ratings). Dollar for dollar, there are some pros and cons to each when looking the higher end choices in each respective material, however I find it very difficult to justify a price premium either way. IMO, the extra $$$ that fiberglass typically costs is due to nothing more than the fact that it is somewhat of a "niche" product. The look and performance of a top FG product vs a top vinyl product will be very comparable.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 9:23PM
PRO
Windows on Washington

+1 to the other feedback you have gotten.

The benefit to fiberglass is largely the look and construction as well as the greater array of options.

No discernible performance advantage on paper.

Theoretically they could require paint but the finishes are supposed to last for 20+ years on paper.

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 8:14AM
ontariomom

Our fiberglass windows (casement style) have much thinner mullions then our similar sized (high end vinyl). If you are going for casements, check out how thick the mullions are on the vinyl windows as compared to fiberglass. I understand from these boards some vinyl windows have slimmer mullions than others.

Good luck with your research.

Carol

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 10:17PM
Elle1234

Thanks for your help eveyrone!

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 11:59AM
More Discussions
Pella Slider
We have a Pella slider that was installed in early...
hopesprings_gw
Kitchen Sliding Patio Door
Hi everyone! My slider is junky and the frame around...
LSSF
Window Decision Time
Hi all, First, let me thank all of you for the information...
Chris
Marvin: Can't find Air Infiltration Specs
I am choosing between Marvin clad and Woodwright double...
texas_al
Lockheed, Certainteed Bryn Mawr III, or Alliance
Wondering which is the better new construction vinyl...
16cassie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™