Patina help

meadelOctober 23, 2008

I just made my first SG sun-catcher ( pic later) I cleaned it well ( even used flux remover) and applied the patina, but only part of it took it ! I cleaned it again but it still won't take on the rest !

I used 60/40 solder and patina for lead. Any suggestions on what I can do to get it all colored?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meadel

All it took was a shake of the bottle ! duh !
I was going to give this to my sister who's name translates to "oak" but I think that I'll keep this one for myself .

(disclaimer: There is NO political meaning in this, it's just a fall decoration. I do love trees,especially big old oaks ! Reminds me of my pet squirrels too.)

Bookmark   October 23, 2008 at 5:47PM
meadel

Bookmark   October 23, 2008 at 6:09PM
katishooked

Beautiful SG. Glad you figured out what was going. Kind if frustrating. Then you feel like duh. Been there and done that. I can see why you might want to keep it.

Bookmark   October 23, 2008 at 7:07PM
sunnyca_gw

Looks fine now!!Will brighten up fall days!! Jan

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 12:23AM
texaswild

Absolutely beautiful. Glad you figured out that one. You know? Call me nuts over mosaics, but this w/be a perfect piece to put in a mosaic for the focal.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 8:12AM
meadel

Thanks ya'll ~ I am glad I figured it out too ~ Funny how fast that patina settled.
I need a lot more practice to get lighter folder lines. I recently took a class in decorative soldering and just love to melt that metal ! ( reminds me of the "Terminator" guy too ..haha)
Slow, If you're nuts so am I ! I can see that too ! And although I love stained glass, I don't think that is my passion to create. I don't think I can be patient enough or precise enough for it. But I do see incorporating soldered stuff into my mosaics, it's an intriguing media.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 10:25AM
lovemosaics

I have had a real hard time having the copper patina to take. The other's seem to work ok. I have used soldered pieces in my work before, and it's really cool! I have noticed over time the pieces I soldered react to the grout.
I was told I need to make sure I polish the soldered pieces really well before and after grout, to keep them from tarnishing. Can't wait to see what you do with the new idea!

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 10:12PM
texaswild

And there I'm nuts again cuz it wouldn't bother me to have the solder tarnish. I even put rusty pieces in my work - rusty nails, washers - whatever. IMO it adds interest.

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 7:49AM
Calamity_J

Ohhhh, Lovely!!! I scored 2 books on decorative soldering at a yard sale a few yrs ago, and Still haven't really done anything in the way of decorative solder. But I have noticed that I still love doing stained glass but have gravitated towards my usual thing these days...3d!!! I saw a guy at a Christmas Craft Fair a few yrs agao, and all his work was decorative solder, it pretty unique around these parts and I was impressed with his work too! He displayed a GORGEOUS Nativity Scene...(still on my "To Do List"! LOL! Copper patina is always hit and miss for me but I did hear that it works better if the piece is really clean and dry...I'll have to remember to shake too!!! I also learned that adding a bit of salt to black patina makes it even nicer, I put it in a dish and add salt, then sponge it on with a little pcs of sponge(and some latex gloves!lol) and I have also used a toothbrush to apply iy. then I clean it really good and use carwax with silicone in it and it keeps shing for a long time! Jane

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 10:26AM
More Discussions
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
Black Kinky Boots
something else for my girly 1/2 guest bathroom....
brokenbitmosaics
Hello!
Hi everyone! I haven't been here in a really long time....
eggshelllady
glass pattern for a cabinet door
Does anyone have a good website or pattern book for...
maryb116
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™