circuit breaker tripping for no apparent reason

abbey_cnyMay 20, 2011

I am not sure if this is a problem or not, so I thought I would inquire here before I had it investigated in person. I had my hardwood floors refinished this week, and the first day called for the use of a floor sander which required a 220 outlet. They plugged into my electric range outlet and everything seemed fine until after they left and I discovered the breaker for the bathroom had tripped. 2nd day they used a buffer and plugged it into my 110 outlet for the TV. no problem. 3rd day they used the buffer and the tv outlet again, and the bathroom breaker tripped again.The tv outlet and the range outlet are on two separate breakers and do not share a breaker with the bathroom. Would it be possible for usage on these 2 breakers to cause a problem on a third breaker, or is this just a coincidence and there is a potential problem with the third breaker? I have had no construction work done lately so new nails to pierce any wires. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Wait and see if anything trips now that the work has been completed.

They might have used an edge sander on one of the circuits.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 9:46AM
weedmeister

when you say 'bathroom breaker', do you mean the breaker in the main box for the bathroom or the GFCI outlet in the bathroom itself?

And is the 'bathroom breaker' a GFCI breaker (it has a TEST button)?

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 1:39PM
abbey_cny

Thanks to you both for your replies. So far so good today. To answer your question weedmeister, I meant the breaker in the breaker box that is for the bathroom. It is not a GFCI breaker. It just seemed strange to me that heavier usage on two other breakers would cause another breaker to trip. I tend to worry about anything electrical.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 2:19PM
bus_driver

I suspect that they plugged something (heavy load) into the "bathroom circuit", the breaker tripped, and they moved on to use other receptacles. They came to work on floors, not to talk to you about tripped breakers.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 8:56PM
abbey_cny

They may not have been there to talk to me about tripped breakers, but I recently mapped all of my circuit breakers and I know exactly what is on the bathroom circuit breaker. Only lights and outlet in the bathroom. Said bathroom was locked the entire time they were here with my pets inside, so there is no way they plugged anything into the bathroom circuit. But since nothing has tripped since yesterday hopefully everything is ok.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 9:44PM
fa_f3_20

The vibration from the floor refinishing may have shaken something loose in the bathroom circuit and created an intermittent short. It wouldn't be a bad idea to open up the boxes on that circuit and have a look around.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 9:22PM
weedmeister

Were your pets using the whirlpool tub while you were away?

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 3:18AM
abbey_cny

lol. No whirlpool tub I am afraid. But since there may be something shaken loose, I guess I better get an electrician out here to take a look, if only to put my mind at rest. Thanks for any and all info!

Abbey

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
Swimming pool wiring
I have 2 gfci circuits operating two pool pumps. Is...
dalemd88
Same circuit for AC air handler and whole-house fan?
Hi, I've got a furnace/air handler in my attic. I was...
elofgren
Wiring in a 1 1/2" thick wall cavity
I need to run 12/2 wire thru an existing thin wall....
baker1mich
Can you make a splice inside one of these?
The reason I ask is my neighbor's house was destroyed...
schreibdave
Code changes
In outlining the electrical layout for our new home,...
mtvhike
Sponsored Products
RGB-pixelpro-bullet-8 RGB PixelPro LED Bullet
EnvironmentalLights.com
Circuit Sectional
| Italy Design
LBL Lighting | Apex Swivel
$168.00 | YLighting
LED Dual Slide Switch and Dimmer for Standard Wall Switch Box - DLVDW-120W
Super Bright LEDs
Eclipse Ceiling Fan with Optional Light by Period Arts Fan Company
$384.00 | Lumens
Rhapsody Satin Nickel Fifteen-Light 56-Inch Chandelier with White Flight paper S
Bellacor
Core Power Cell Standard Charger - CSC6500-S
$64.99 | Hayneedle
Kovacs Circuit Transitional Large Pendant
1800Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™