Replacement Windows HELPPPP

spotted_catOctober 7, 2011

I have a home built in 1994. My windows are MW brand double hung, dual pane (not Low E) wood windows. 3 of the windows have broken seals. I am struggling with the decision to replace or repair. Repair is estimated at $250 per piece of glass. Inclined to improve the performance, I would want to use the Low E glass, jumping the repair bill to $500 per window for both pieces of glass to be replaced. My builder grade windows are difficult to open, leak some air and need periodic painting. One contractor is pushing Jeldwen vinyl windows. I looked at a previous installation and thought the windows looked cheap. Another contractor uses only Simonton windows. I have done some internet research and I am overwhelmed with the number of window companies. Have any opinions of Simonton 5500 compared to the Jeldwen windows (not sure which model)?

Is it worth it to fix a window of this quality?

How long can I expect the vinyl windows to last?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eastbay10

You will get better information from some of the other posters as to the specifics of Jeld Wen versus Simonton 5500 but Simonton as a company has much better vinyl products than Jeld Wen.
My comment would be that you are being taken advantage of if someone is doubling the price simply because of an upgrade to Low E. It is probably a 10% upgrade over clear IG.

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 8:18PM
spotted_cat

You are right about the price to upgrade the glass though in this area it is a 20% price increase. I meant that I would replace both pieces of glass instead of just replacing the one piece of glass. Thanks for the input

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 11:16PM
windowsonwashington

With nearly $500 in each window, you still have a poorly seal (i.e. air leakage) window that is nearly 20 years old.

I would opt for replacement and do your research so you get a good window, project, and price.

Good vinyl windows should easily last 20+ years.

Bookmark   October 8, 2011 at 4:29PM
More Discussions
Looking for recomendations re: replacing sliding patio doors in MN
As the title says, I'm researching replacement our...
billpw
wood window restoring in Nova
I live in a cedar home with big wood casement windows....
mommyshanti
Contractor introduced me to yet another window, Vi Win Tech windows???
A building contractor we are using for a garage guesthouse...
happyallison
Deciding between Grand Estates/Amcraft or Okna 500dx, advice?
Both are new construction. The Grand Estates is just...
happyallison
Replacement and New Coastal Impact Windows
We are doing major renovation on a waterfront home...
roenie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™