How to make a project 'outdoor-friendly' at this point

phish_gwOctober 11, 2009

I made a birdhouse decorated with shells rocks and a pine cone roof. It's very cute but I assume it's not tough enough to handle being outside. Do you know if there is anything I can do at this point to make it strong enough to be outside?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wackyweeder

All those materials are kind of outdoor frinedly on their own, LOL. I assume you have mosaiced on wood? The wood especially exposed edges needs sealed within an inch of its life, I would also use some sort of varnish or sealant over the pine cones, and it wouldnt hurt to seal the grout over the rest of the piece. Since wood is the assumed substrate-outdoors it has a limited life as the wood will absorb moisture and swell and shrink in cycles which will eventually loosen the stuff you have adhered to it. You can leave it as is and enjoy it a year or 2, or seal it well and hope for a little more. A sheltered position will help.
The best solution is to make another one to replace it when it falls apart, you might like it even better! LOL

Bookmark   October 11, 2009 at 5:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silvamae

Yep, seal it within an inch of its life. I take birdhouses outside and spray the insides of them with Thompson's wood and deck sealer. Just put the nozzle right up against the hole in the birdhouse. Then for the outside of it, you could seal with Aqua Mix Premium Stone and Tile Sealer which is kind of expensive but goes a long way if you pour it into a spray bottle and apply it that way. If the birdhouse is under a porch roof it might last a long time.

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 12:20AM
More Discussions
bees
did I share this here? Yggdrasil and the Divine Intoxicant...
nicethyme
Thrift Store Remake....
I thought it needed a little something extra.
brokenbitmosaics
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
Backsplash glass and stone tile tile problem...Help
We just had this beautiful glass/stone mosaic tile...
gargeres
Hello!
Hi everyone! I haven't been here in a really long time....
eggshelllady
Sponsored Products
Tahoe 6-piece Rustic Mahogany Dinette Set
Overstock.com
Serena & Lily Gobi Embroidered Sheet Set
Serena & Lily
Two Seater Bench
$399.99 | Dot & Bo
Christopher Knight Home Haitian Cast Aluminum Outdoor Dining Set (Set of 7)
Overstock.com
Villa Stripes Flatweave Runner 2'3" x 8' - SUNSET BEACH
$219.00 | Horchow
Mister Deer Fleece Throw Pillow
$27.99 | zulily
Vondom | Moma High Planter LED
YLiving.com
Justice Design Group GLA-8671 - Montana 1 Light Wall Sconce - Square with Ripple
$330.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™